Duke

chrisjoesepp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Duke and Lilli were a brother and sister that had been at Oakville Humane Society for 2 years and no one seemed willing to adopt them. Not only were they a bonded pair, but Duke had a severe heart condition. They were also around 5 years old and no longer cute kittens but I adopted them anyway 9 years ago. What a bargain I got! Lilli is sweet-natured and loving and Duke a goofy trouble maker who was so affectionate that you couldn't help but forgive him no matter what trouble he caused. Four months ago he developed cancer but the chemo he was on had put it in remission and things were looking good, but his heart condition finally came back to bite us. He died suddenly of saddle thrombosis, a blood clot thrown out by his wonky heart blocked all blood to his hind legs and left him in agony. He quickly went into shock. The emergency clinic did their best for him but weren't equipped to treat this, only a referral and emergency hospital half an hours drive away might be able to, but it was obvious Duke was dying in front of our eyes and would never have made it, his shock and trauma had set his heart to beating dangerously erratically, so to spare him any more suffering I put him down. Now Lilli and I are left grieving with broken hearts and this small house seems unbearably empty.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for giving Duke and Lilli a chance after being in the shelter for two years. Your thoughtfulness and compassion was obviously repaid with their affection and goofy antics. I'm so terribly sorry about Duke's severe heart condition and later cancer. Your memories of him be treasured forever. Keep Lilli cuddled in your arms and let her know you miss Duke too. :hugs: RIP sweet angel. :angel:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my heart goes out to you, I know the emptiness in your house and heart too well. You will both feel adrift for a while, I'm glad you have each other to cling to. Time is the only thing that helps with the pain of a broken heart, I pray you can find comfort in knowing for nine years you gave him and his sister what they both wanted and needed so badly, your love and a wonderful, happy home. A love that kept that sweet, goofy boy alive and entertaining for all those years, despite his condition. There comes a time when all living things must leave this earth, it is the time we spend here that makes it so worth while. You gave him all the world when you gave him your heart and he thanks you for that. He is at peace knowing you are there to take care of his sister, and though the pain will seem overwhelming at first , there will come a time when you will think of him with joy and know in your heart you were so very fortunate to have had him in your life. For him to have never shared your life at all would have been unthinkable.
Embrace your precious memories and and know the bond you formed with him will be with you forever, it is spiritual so eternal. His new path will be forever tied to your own, and to his beloved sister's, until the day that it once more crosses your own. Try not to be sad, he would never want that, just as you would never want that for him if you were the first to go. He will be forever alive and safe in your heart. Take care, and give that grieving sister a kiss from me....... RIP beautiful Duke, you will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
To make it to 14 with the health problems Duke had is no doubt a testament to the love and good care you gave him. I'm glad you and Lilli have each other during this difficult time. My thoughts are with you. RIP, little boy. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you had to witness that horrible event happening, so sad....but you did a wonderful thing many years ago taking them both in, and he loves you for it and has no regrets and neither do you. It is hard I know, you and Lilli need each other now more than ever to help each other through this most difficult time.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Duke, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

The fact that he lived so long is a true testament to your love and devotion. Bless you for taking him on and keeping him safe and allowing him to grow to be an old cat. My heart with yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrisjoesepp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.