Dry Food Problem

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Guys
It appears my kitten stopped eating his dry food. He used to love it. I used to give him both soft/dry food and sometimes even mix them and he would eat. But the problem now is I think I did the mistake. This past week... I've been giving him home cooked meals to spoil him and now he won't touch his dry food even mixed with soft food.
He wants either soft food or home cooked.
Some friends told me to try tough love. Give him dry kibble and nth else. He'll eat them once he's really hungry.
Any suggestions!?
Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just feed your kitten only canned food? Dry food isn't necessary for any cat. It's just a convenient easy to feed item for people. You'll just need to feed more canned food to your growing kitten. Canned food is a cooked product so it won't spoil if left out all day.

What is in the home cooked meals? Feeding too much of it will unbalance your kitten's diet and your kitten may develop nutritional deficiencies. Limit the home cooked meals to a treat. Meat on its own is not a complete diet an adding things like rice and veggies are useless. There are ways to make a proper home cooked diet for cats. There is a separate forum here on TCS with more info on that.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not just feed your kitten only canned food? Dry food isn't necessary for any cat. It's just a convenient easy to feed item for people. You'll just need to feed more canned food to your growing kitten. Canned food is a cooked product so it won't spoil if left out all day.

What is in the home cooked meals? Feeding too much of it will unbalance your kitten's diet and your kitten may develop nutritional deficiencies. Limit the home cooked meals to a treat. Meat on its own is not a complete diet an adding things like rice and veggies are useless. There are ways to make a proper home cooked diet for cats. There is a separate forum here on TCS with more info on that.
Quite right, I'd already written the following, so I'll post it anyway.

Perhaps your cat knows best! Youv'e been cooking for him and now he's expected to eat manufactured junk food. Well, what do you expect? You don't say what brand of dry food he's been eating, but I expect it's one of those BIG NAMES where a load of rubbish (including old oil) is flavoured with some tempting aroma and cats eat it - until they discover something better. I'm sure there is good quality dry kibble in Morocco - try those (no grain, no sugar) and see if he'll eat that. Of course, if you are already feeding high quality kibble, he may simply prefer the wet stuff. If he were my cat I'd feed him wet but leave a small saucer of kibble (of a different quality) plus a water bowl and see what happens. My cats "don't" eat dry, but I regularly have to fill up the dish of dry, which I leave out just in case one of them is hungry! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed him a brand called (Royal Canin). It's the best we have in Morocco.
I give him both dry and wet food. I give him dry because I thought it's good for him. He used to really like it until I spoiled him with cooked meals for 4 days and now he wants more. For the cooked meals I gave him steamed liver/ chicken/fish/meat

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Steamed meat or fish aren't enough nutritionally for a cat. Please limit those to treats unless you are interested in making a proper home cooked diet.

It's fine to feed dry food to growing kittens since they need all the food but it's not absolutely necessary. If your kitten won't eat it anymore, then just feed the canned.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just feed canned, dry food is rather unhealthy if you take the time to research it.

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you must add dry food to his diet, you can try a different flavor. Maybe he's bored of the same kibble's taste. I would still try to make wet food most of his diet though if it works well for him and he prefers that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try that. Thank you so much
The reason I have to add dry food is because of my work nature. I am a cabin crew so I can't cook daily. I'd be happy if he starts eating kibble. Therefore I'll go to work with a piece of mind.

Update: He got hungry and he went to eat the dry food. Not much but I consider it as improvement. And I will change his kibbles in few days.

stitch&luna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cats were kittens, I fed:
Wet food- Wellness complete health Kitten formula, Instinct Kitten, and Fancy Feast kitten variety pack.
Dry food- Instinct Kitten.