Dry food and soft stool

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats a majority wet food, but one of them refuses most wet (the only kind he will gobble up is bff tuna and duck and I don’t want to give him fish daily) so we give dry as well. I was feeding Nutro indoor essentials, but their price has been $12 cheaper and although I should be happy, I find it really odd (not sure if it’s a marketing thing, quality thing or just a regular discount, but I’m leery). Maybe I’m overthinking it. Anyways, I purchased Farmina low grain chicken and pomegranate and slowly (over about a 2 week period) switched them. Ever since then two of my cats have had loose stools (the two who eat the majority of the dry). Could this just be from switching and will eventually go away (it’s been about a week and a half) or should I look for something else that’s maybe not as high protein (that’s the only thing I can think of). 3 of them are over the age of 10 and they’ve never had grain free dry so I’m not sure if it could be that it’s less grain?? I know that I shouldn’t be giving dry at all so please don’t reprimand me for that. I’m working on it, but he’s not budging unless it contains tuna. But, for now, I’d like suggestions on other dry options that are lower calorie and maybe less protein??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you slowly transitioned them to the new Farmina and they didn't have any signs of diarrhea all during the transition, then I don't think you went too fast. But, just in case, have you tried adding back in some of the Nutro to see what happens? Was the last amount you fed for a few days 75% new and 25% old with no issues? Also, did you ask the store that had the discounted Nutro WHY it was so discounted? Maybe it was close to the expiration date or something. I wouldn't necessarily give up on it based on it being "on sale" on one particular store, especially if it's done well for your furkids in the past.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you slowly transitioned them to the new Farmina and they didn't have any signs of diarrhea all during the transition, then I don't think you went too fast. But, just in case, have you tried adding back in some of the Nutro to see what happens? Was the last amount you fed for a few days 75% new and 25% old with no issues? Also, did you ask the store that had the discounted Nutro WHY it was so discounted? Maybe it was close to the expiration date or something. I wouldn't necessarily give up on it based on it being "on sale" on one particular store, especially if it's done well for your furkids in the past.
I was actually buying it on Amazon. It’s had a $12 coupon for months which is what made me leery. I haven’t added any Nutro back in but I will try that