Dry cough turned serious. Worried!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update. Though we've had some slight challenges in taking his meds, we've been managing and his breath rate yesterday was down to 25 per minute, which is great. His appetite for kibble is always good, less so for wet (darned picky eater), but we're pushing both. He's seemed comfortable and generally sweet and normal though maybe a tad more tired. It's been encouraging despite the diagnosis!

However, unfortunately this morning he wasn't hungry, we had to force the pills, and he's had diarrhea and maybe one liquid/empty vomit. I'm assuming it's from the meds or a specific med. I thought this might be coming on, because yesterday he had a great poo that was well formed at the beginning but loose at the end.

Not too long ago he was extra lovey and followed me around like he gets when hungry, so that's encouraging, but we're waiting until noon mealtime to see how that goes. I have a message into the vet but no response yet. IF he's hungry — wondering if I should continue normal meals and just try to get through it, or move to the bland/fiber alternatives like you'd sometimes do. Does diarrhea from meds resolve itself as the body adjusts? I'm just not sure.

If he's nauseated then I imagine we might need another drug like Cerenia or a switch in meds? Guess we'll see. There always has to be some complication, it seems. Whew.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check to see if any of the meds might contribute to lack of appetite, some can also impact the digestive tract - at least initially until the body adapts.

Cerenia or ondansetron for anti-nausea. Some say Cerenia is more for vomiting and ondansetron for anti-nausea. He might also need an appetite stimulant for now too. Mirataz can be given transdermally, so only the anti-nausea meds would add another pill.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet is prescribing Ondansetron and Metronidazole. I'm a little wary of metro due to some bad experiences in the past, but am willing to try if it can help. If I recall we were never able to get our IBD cat off of it or the diarrhea would immediately return.

I will say though, he DID seem to have a big appetite for lunch today, so much so that he nearly ate mine off my plate. However, once he had the bowl of his wet food in front of him, he began eating then stopped maybe a 1/3 of the way through. None of my usual toppers or treats got him started again. Though he was still into a few pieces of kibble I tried because he's a kibble addict.

Would this be nausea, I wonder? Super hungry, starts to eat, then stops short? I'd given him his Clopidogrel about 30 minutes before, also. Luckily an hour has passed and no vomit, though.

I wanted to wait a day or two to see if things resolve without meds, but if he's not going to eat that's a problem.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I have already said something to you about s. boulardii, forgive me. But it could be an alternative to Metro. It is a probiotic that is not affected by antibiotics, seems to work to help alleviate diarrhea and loose stools, is OTC, and has been used by others who have cats with IBD. The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

The Clopidogrel can cause lack of appetite, diarrhea, and sometimes even vomiting. I also understand it can be given with food to help offset the lack of appetite and vomiting.

A lot of cats who are semi-nauseous do better with dry food and/or treats, even some human foods. Not sure why. I would still would look into an appetite stimulant to go along with ondansetron.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I have already said something to you about s. boulardii, forgive me. But it could be an alternative to Metro. It is a probiotic that is not affected by antibiotics, seems to work to help alleviate diarrhea and loose stools, is OTC, and has been used by others who have cats with IBD. The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

The Clopidogrel can cause lack of appetite, diarrhea, and sometimes even vomiting. I also understand it can be given with food to help offset the lack of appetite and vomiting.

A lot of cats who are semi-nauseous do better with dry food and/or treats, even some human foods. Not sure why. I would still would look into an appetite stimulant to go along with ondansetron.
The vet said that Ondansetron was for nausea and is an appetite stimulant, so I'm getting confused, ha ha.

We've actually used s. boulardii previously with that same IBD kitty, but don't have any on hand right now. I was considering trying Fortiflora for a couple of days with the Ondansetron to see if that helped (instead of the Metro), especially since I know the Fortiflora can be enticing to kitties, but the vet still says to use the Metro, not probiotics.

I don't like going against doctor's orders, but I like conservative treatments when possible, especially when already on multiple meds.

I do think he'd be more likely to eat all kibble for a day, but considering the diarrhea and diuretic I wonder about him getting enough moisture that way. He is actively drinking as of earlier this morning. And yeah, people food. He nearly drug a chicken strip off of my plate before I could stop him!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There might be some anti-emetic properties to ondansetron, but it might not be enough. I guess time will tell. It is good to start with an anti-nausea med first before introducing an appetite stimulant.

Forti Flora, while considered a probiotic, is really nothing more than a flavor enhancer. I think it contains one strain of 'good bacteria' compared to a numerous amount in s. boulardii.

I tend to think vets seem to think prescribed medicines are more effective than OTC items, just because that is what they have come to know the most. What salespersons walk into their office trying to convince them to use OTC products as opposed to those who pitch medications?

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's true! I'd settle for the Fortflora getting him through a whole bowl of wet food, if nothing else.

I just tried a different crunchy treat with him — the Wellness Kittles I usually feed primarily to one of our other cats — and he went nuts for it so I gave a few. So he definitely has an appetite and maybe isn't even nauseated, who knows. Perhaps he's been put off his usual stuff for a bit. It figures our pickiest eater also becomes the one with a health issue. The others eat like horses!

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And also, side note — who knew Ondansetron was so pricey!

We just picked up our two week supply, "just in case" we need it, and it was over $100. That's not sustainable, so I hope if we do need to use it, it's not long term.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet suggested I get ondansetron from a local pharmacy (Publix). It is the 'human' form, and I think it is a lot cheaper that way. I know the price can vary, but I believe I paid less than $20 for 60 pills at 4mg a piece. My vet recommended I give Feeby 4mg 2-3 times a day.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested I get ondansetron from a local pharmacy (Publix). It is the 'human' form, and I think it is a lot cheaper that way. I know the price can vary, but I believe I paid less than $20 for 60 pills at 4mg a piece. My vet recommended I give Feeby 4mg 2-3 times a day.
Yeah, we did too, got the prescription filled at CVS. It says Ondansetron HCL — and was $110 for 28 4mg pills, to be given twice daily. Whewwww...

EDIT — Wow, is this the same thing? What the heck?
ONDANSETRON (Generic) Tablets, 4-mg, 30 tablets - Chewy.com

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That pill from Chewy looks like the one I get from Publix. Cannot explain what the heck CVS is doing, other than theirs is the HCL version. That would be the key as to what the difference is - and I am not sure about that part. I'd start with asking your vet about the difference and see what they say. I am not sure there really is one in terms of effectiveness - could be wrong though.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That pill from Chewy looks like the one I get from Publix. Cannot explain what the heck CVS is doing, other than theirs is the HCL version. That would be the key as to what the difference is - and I am not sure about that part. I'd start with asking your vet about the difference and see what they say. I am not sure there really is one in terms of effectiveness - could be wrong though.
I messaged the vet and they say that drug is correct, and is expensive at human pharmacies but is less pricey directly from them or their online pharmacy. Seems very odd to me, but we've already bought it so, *shrug*

The Fortiflora has helped! We held off on both the Ondansetron and Metro, and last night and this morning my boy was hungry. Picky as usual with wet food but the Fortiflora got him interested so that he nearly finished both meals without multiple prompts and treat toppers like usual. We had a harder time with his pills this morning but got them down with only moderate trauma (ha) and some pill pockets arrive tomorrow that I hope will help make it easier.

No diarrhea since yesterday morning, but I have a feeling more could be coming as maybe he was cleaned out and it takes a while for food to make its way through again? But at least it's been 24 hours now and he's drinking, too.

In other good news, his breaths per minute was down to 22-23 last night while sleeping! If we can just get a good routine going on the medication and meals (assuming his recheck goes well on Thursday) perhaps I can chill out a little and take a few deep breaths, myself.

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my boy had his one-week recheck today, which I was very nervous but optimistic about since he seemed to be improving.

They think the fluid around his lungs may be better, but is still present. His atrial fibrillation is still there, also, unfortunately, and his heart rate still high. So we're going to up his Diltiazem to 3x a day (every 8 hours) and do another ECG in a week to see how he looks.

I'm admittedly feeling a little defeated, but they say we're headed in the right direction and I suppose it's still very early in his treatment.

He still seems to feel good, or better than before the meds — adventuring around the house, begging for treats, doing all his usual routine — and his appetite seems to be stronger over the last couple of days, which is helpful.

We got the Greenies pill pockets and that's been somewhat helpful but we're still trying to figure out the best methods of routinely giving him pills. I almost had a routine down, but now with the increase in Diltiazem I'm looking at 5 pill sessions a day instead of 3! Good thing I work from home, but dang it's stressful. I could try to combine two of them by moving one back two hours but I think we'll just limp along for the next week and see how things go.