Drusilla's very bad day

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so starting pretty much when we got her this lil kitty has had soft pooh. (june 1st) on the 20th we went to the vet for final vacc series and general wellness exam. we were given some tips on improving things and it did. we got her to normal. then after a week we were told we could start the introductions so we did. she appeared fine at first with the big cats so we moved on to step too face to face. one kitten was great but she was not. interested but hissed and growlled some defensive posture but also tail held high. within 12 hours she started having explosive pooh. we figured it was stress. but nothing we were doing was working. my hubby figured out that he'd been giving them WAY too much probiotics. dunno if that was part of it. but we decided she needed to go to urgent care today.

so I get a call that I understood to be felv. I was freaked out.. then it was clarified a couple hours later to actually have been a pos test on parvo.. which makes no sense at all. she's been in the kitten room the whole time we have had her and the incubation period for parvo is 4 to 7 days. the only thing that would make sense is if it was contracted at the vet clinic which seems low odds to me. and she just had her vaccination so I guess odds of a false positive are very high. my hubby argued for a blood test to prove it wasn't parvo and the white vs red cell count or whatever that was was opposite of what they'd expect for parvo but since the white cells were high they think she has an infection and prescribed antibiotics. nothing was given to her for the explosive pooh. they didn't do a pcr panel and said they don't think they give you good information so they didn't want to do that. but they did give her fluids and cerenia. and she was there for like 8 hours. is there any chance the treatment will help the pooh issue? antibiotics seem like the opposite treatment. is it possible its some kind of critter that would have been caught in a pcr panel that just got bigger after a slight remission and the antibiotics will simmer it down. my husband is livid atm.

my normal vet says to give her adult food for a couple days because it has more fiber in it than baby cat food. but he was in surgery all day and couldn't talk to us.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry that Drucilla is not well. I also love the name.

I have copied a link below that might be of some help. I think that a fecal PCR should be done as well as blood work. If it was my kitten, I would keep her apart from the other cats. You would do well to get a second opinion as this is a very serious and sometimes deadly highly contagious disease. Perhaps the positive is due to the vaccination, but if you read the article below, it goes into detail regarding that.

I hope your kitten is feeling better soon and that your other cats are okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry that Drucilla is not well. I also love the name.

I have copied a link below that might be of some help. I think that a fecal PCR should be done as well as blood work. If it was my kitten, I would keep her apart from the other cats. You would do well to get a second opinion as this is a very serious and sometimes deadly highly contagious disease. Perhaps the positive is due to the vaccination, but if you read the article below, it goes into detail regarding that.

I hope your kitten is feeling better soon and that your other cats are okay.

the bloodworks indicate it was a false positive. she is also no where near as dire condition as parvo is supposed to be. she was never listless no play, just a little less active than her brother, she did drop off the food she was still drinking. and no blood in the pooh and no vomiting, so, with the bloodwork not showing any of the values they'd expect with a parvo kitten the vet thinks it was a false positive. her white cells were a bit high so he thinks infection of some sort. he said the pcrs have too much noise and they didn't like doing them.

yesterday she got fluids, cerenia injection, and started on a round of antibiotics. she was eating normally and higher activity level when we got her back last night. her pooh is directionally improving a bit but still not normal.

her brother is spike because they're both lil vampires lol

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love that show. Spike has always been my favorite.

I am glad they think it was a false positive, although I have only heard of false negatives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love that show. Spike has always been my favorite.

I am glad they think it was a false positive, although I have only heard of false negatives.

"Feline panleukopenia may be suspected based on a history of exposure to an infected cat, lack of vaccination, and the visible signs of illness. When that history of exposure is combined with blood tests that show severely reduced levels of all white blood cell types, FP is likely the cause of the cat’s illness. FP is confirmed when the feline parvovirus is found in the cat’s stool, but the results might be falsely positive if the cat was vaccinated for FP within 5-12 days prior to the test".

she has had no measure of exposure unless it was at the vets clinic for vax and she has had all her kitten vax and the white blood cell was elevated not depressed. She was vax on the 20th it was the 3rd when they tested her.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope she doesn't have it and with the blood work not showing it, she may be ok. You could ask them if they use the modified live vaccine, since that would make sense.