Drought and heat in the Western U.S.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's in the news, and I don't have to watch to know. We're in a 100+ F heat wave in like it's 9th day and still dragging on. 42% humidity, which isn't like Mississippi, but hot enough. Like Sunday 105 F and 50% humidity.

And, a hurricane is coming from Mexico, the first since 1997, to smother us with more humidity. (And it will, I was around for Nora, in 1997, too.)

Some other Cat Site denizens (and their kitties, alas) are suffering lack of water, and reduction in electrical power because of surging demand.

The good news is, unless you've got a lawn, many plants will get by on less water than you might think.

Hope you're okay.

Let us know!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was here for Hurricane Nora, too. In my immediate area it is raining right now, with 90% chance continuing.

At least Californians complied with the emergency alert that went out at about 6:00 PM on Tuesday warning that the power grid might go down if home electricity sources were not shut down or conserved.

Now if the wildfires could be contained.....

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m on the California Central Coast. It doesn’t get as hot here as it does in other parts of the state of course but it‘s still felt pretty miserable. Hot and humid. I hadn’t thought about the hurrican bringing more humidity—I’m hoping it brings a little rain, too. We may get some showers over the weekend here. :crossfingers:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's barely rained here all summer, and we've had off-and-on extreme heat. The crops are largely drought-resistant now but the corn is finished and didn't turn out so great. There's still hope for the soybeans if we get some rain but there's not much in the forecast. A lot of evergreen trees are starting to turn brown and that's not good.

I've heard forecasts that this winter will continue to be dry, and I've heard forecasts that it will be an especially damp and snowy winter. So who knows!

On the plus side, I've only had to mow once all summer and we don't have any mosquitoes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have been lucky in this part of Ohio, it has been a mild summer. We have only had a few days of high temps and humidity. We have also had the right amount of rain throughout the summer, we are a little north of the flooding. We have had several years in a row of both mild summers and winters, we are due for something different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallelujah!

The Mexican ‘Cane came, along with enough rain for a bit of show, and the temperatures fell. A lot.

Halleluja!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have, yay. It’s overcast and windy but no rain. Check this out, my weather app says it’s drizzling right now but I’m looking out my window right now—nada.

View attachment 431301
That’s good news; I know you guys don’t take high heat well at all, even compared to us LA area spoiled brats. That cold ocean usually keeps the devils at bay.

Glad again for the good news!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
True, we are definitely weather wimps. :lol: And most places here don’t have AC. I’m hoping that it’s drizzling at the weather station at the airport and will be moving our way shortly. Doing my best rain dance now to help things along. ;)

1662824215792.gif

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We have dropped from the upper 80‘s to low 70’s during the day with lows of 47 the next couple nights. Time to switch from air conditioning to heat.