Don't Think I Should Have One That

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last couple of years my son and his girl friend have hosted Thanksgiving. I volunteered to do it this year to give her a break. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Since I work as a florist Thanksgiving is extremely busy for me so I know I will be tired for the big day. I refuse to take short cuts when cooking - nearly everything is home made. I am hoping to do a lot of the prep work early on - make the pie crusts and freeze them, making the apple pie filling and freeze it. I will do anything that can be done early ahead of time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure you'll be fine. And yes, do anything ahead of time that you can possibly do. It will work out beautifully. And it's such a nice gesture to give your son and GF a break!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all thinking what a sweetheart you are giving them a break. It sounds like you are getting things all under control, prep beforehand is definitely the key to keeping your sanity. Just keep thinking, I can do this! (Don't go insane like I do!)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That’s nice of you! Definitely try to get as much done ahead of time that you can. I have the cake layers, cookies and candy bark in the freezer already and will put the cheesecake I made yesterday into the freezer today. I toast and cube all of my bread on Tuesday and make the stuffings, rice and mashed potatoes on Wednesday. The cranberry sauce will be made next week and frozen. Desserts get finished off with nay frosting, etc on Wednesday

On Thursday I cook all of the meats, make the Mac and cheese and pre-mix cocktails.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cocktails wouldn't make it to Thanksgiving, I KNOW they wouldn't if my husband's family was coming, well, mine too! :drinking:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs - You need to delegate tasks. Jack could make the dressing and stuff the turkey, Cami could certainly handle the more delicate things like baking the pies and pastries, and Lottie could supervise. This is a disaster dream Thanksgiving in the making!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs - You need to delegate tasks. Jack could make the dressing and stuff the turkey, Cami could certainly handle the more delicate things like baking the pies and pastries, and Lottie could supervise. This is a disaster dream Thanksgiving in the making!
Sure, that would work!;) Adam and Steph have hosted the last couple of years to give me a break. I have always done holiday meals in the past. Sure, I mutter about being tired, but I really do enjoy putting a fantastic meal together for my loved ones. The only thing I hate is dealing with the leftovers and there is always leftovers. I tend to cook WAY to much!