Don't know whether to worry or not

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - 14 yr old neutered male on mostly canned food + little bits of other meat (no garlic or other toxics) for treats 3-4 tims a day and using sand type litter has large softish clumps in box with almost no other types... I know he urinates and presumable does #2 as well but I'm a bit surprised not to see some smaller, hard #2's and/or more obvious #1's (balls somewhat harder than what he does now, which are all so similar. His box is bigger than most and he's an 'only' cat. He did have an anal gland vet 'fix' 2 yrs ago. His coat seems ok, not sleek, on the drier side, but not hugely so. I've looked at articles on e.g. CKD, h-thyroidism, etc. but haven't found def. points that match. Because I had to be away x 2 wks couple of yrs ago I thought his increased feed-me whining etc. was a result, but it's not getting better (wakes me for breakfast - didn't used to prior), and does seem more more meal oriented, but I put some of that down to age as I did for his now dislike of leash/harness walkies with me :(. Sleeps between meals mostly, doesn't play much any more, stays right beside me most of the time... Is it just age? Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would take the cat to the vet for a geriatric panel and checkup. What you are concerned about like CKD and hypothyroidism could be caught and treated successfully or managed at the least. It is age, but that does not mean that there is nothing that can be done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, been putting it off, but really more than anything at the moment want an opinion on his ? pee/poop. BTW I'm at home most of the time.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Lucy. What is your cat's name?

If your cat is eating more but losing weight, he needs a thyroid (T4) test. This is an add-on to the blood chemistry panel, which is used to diagnose CKD along with a urine test. Unfortunately, hyperthyroidism can trick veterinarians by masking CKD, so without a urinalysis the blood test cannot confirm the presence or absence of CKD. Lethargy can just be age-related because he is 14, but changes in his eating or drinking habits would definitely warrant scheduling a vet appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks, but he isn't losing wt, not eating more - just being whiny about reg. meals. I think he needs a shrink as much as anything and I wish I had not been away as long as I was, though neighbour feeds were great. Just more interested right now to know if big soft - but not at all runny or worse - patties + a few little bits of ?? poop or pee are a flag or not of anything special (have googled, but not definitive).