Domesticating Semi-feral cats

Max&Molly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were given two semi-feral cats about 2 1/2 weeks ago. We had no idea what we were getting into and did not realize how difficult a process this would be. The cats are a 6 month old female and a 12 month old male. They have a bond with each other and the previous owner did not want to separate them. (they lived in his backyard). The female is more semi-feral, hissing and growling, but not biting or scratching. The male is docile and a sweetheart, yet very scared. We are reading everything we can online and watching YouTube videos on domesticating semi-feral cats. We have them in a bathroom with their own safe space, etc..... Things are coming along but very very slowly. I think the male will eventually adjust as he lets me pet him (altho still scared). We are struggling more with the female kitten as she hisses if touched or even getting close. Any encouragement or helps would be appreciated. (my husband did manage to feed the female kitten some chicken from a fork as it is very food motivated. The 12 month old male is not food motivated at all and will not eat until we leave the room.)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, you didn't! Every semiferal acts differently and for different amounts of time. Females are just naturally more hissy and frightened, they are the limit setters the manners teachers to kittens and the males. Don't force either of them to do anything. Do not try to touch them unless they act calmer or come to you. I take it both are neutered? If not, that should be number one on your list, you might as well bring them both in now if not because all your hard work at taming them will be set back when you do. I don't want to see you lose their trust if you wait. If you don't, you'll have three litters of kittens a year, they will howl and cry constantly because females constantly go into heat until bred, and they will be much more aggressive and will spray all over your house to mark territory.
Cats take a while to come around. They are naturally afraid because so many people have hurt them. You earn a cat's love, but once you get it it is one of this life's treasures. Do not give up. Cats thrive on routine and order. They are definitely young enough to be tamed and become wonderful pets. 2.5 weeks is nothing to a cat. Start by just quietly sitting with them and reading aloud from your phone once in a while. Leave a few treats on the floor when you leave. Read up in a few other threads on this site to see how others have done it. This may take a few months but will be well worth it. Welcome to the site! Bless you, for taking them in, we are always here to answer any of your questions!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We had no idea what we were getting into and did not realize how difficult a process this would be.
Thank you for adopting these two kitties :clapcat:

Yes, I agree with what di and bob di and bob mentioned. Do give them time to get acclimatized since they are fresh in your house and they need some time to get over it as everything looks foreign to them.

Leave some of your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with them so that they can get use to your scents. Cats also goes by scents and once they have familiar scents, they'll calm down faster.

Do visit them often and while you are approaching the door, call out to them in a sweet calm loving voice rather than just open the door and give them a fright. Announce your arrival. Make yourself small by squatting down as you open the door and also sit on the floor when you are with them. Have some treats or a cat wand in hand as you warm up to them. Making yourself small does not intimate them and look threatening to them.

It may take some time but please don't give up. They need to trust you and also gain confidence for themselves and thus the hissing and not eating. Once they find you not a threat to them and associate you with food, the trust will grow stronger each day.

Never betray their trust else it'll never work. Remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

Feel free to ask questions and do keep us updated.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Max&Molly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course, you didn't! Every semiferal acts differently and for different amounts of time. Females are just naturally more hissy and frightened, they are the limit setters the manners teachers to kittens and the males. Don't force either of them to do anything. Do not try to touch them unless they act calmer or come to you. I take it both are neutered? If not, that should be number one on your list, you might as well bring them both in now if not because all your hard work at taming them will be set back when you do. I don't want to see you lose their trust if you wait. If you don't, you'll have three litters of kittens a year, they will howl and cry constantly because females constantly go into heat until bred, and they will be much more aggressive and will spray all over your house to mark territory.
Cats take a while to come around. They are naturally afraid because so many people have hurt them. You earn a cat's love, but once you get it it is one of this life's treasures. Do not give up. Cats thrive on routine and order. They are definitely young enough to be tamed and become wonderful pets. 2.5 weeks is nothing to a cat. Start by just quietly sitting with them and reading aloud from your phone once in a while. Leave a few treats on the floor when you leave. Read up in a few other threads on this site to see how others have done it. This may take a few months but will be well worth it. Welcome to the site! Bless you, for taking them in, we are always here to answer any of your questions!
Thank you for the encouragement. The 12 month old was already neutered when we got him and we have an appt next week to take the 6 month old in to be spayed. I'll check more on this site to see what others share. I saw huge progress this afternoon as the male that previously would not eat in front of me, started eating today before I left the room. I was thrilled. 😊

Max&Molly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for adopting these two kitties :clapcat:

Yes, I agree with what di and bob di and bob mentioned. Do give them time to get acclimatized since they are fresh in your house and they need some time to get over it as everything looks foreign to them.

Leave some of your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with them so that they can get use to your scents. Cats also goes by scents and once they have familiar scents, they'll calm down faster.

Do visit them often and while you are approaching the door, call out to them in a sweet calm loving voice rather than just open the door and give them a fright. Announce your arrival. Make yourself small by squatting down as you open the door and also sit on the floor when you are with them. Have some treats or a cat wand in hand as you warm up to them. Making yourself small does not intimate them and look threatening to them.

It may take some time but please don't give up. They need to trust you and also gain confidence for themselves and thus the hissing and not eating. Once they find you not a threat to them and associate you with food, the trust will grow stronger each day.

Never betray their trust else it'll never work. Remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

Feel free to ask questions and do keep us updated.
Thanks for the encouragement. I can tell already that I'm going to appreciate this site.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
each and every tiny advancement is HUGE! This says that he is feeling more comfortable around you. You are taking on a huge responsibility here, it will take time and work. But it is all worth it in the end. you have already saved two little lives, and they will enrich your life in the future, you'll see. don't be afraid to post here for ANY advice. No question is dumb, or too repetitive, we all want the same thing, in the end, to save as many cats as we can and to show people how rewarding it can be! You are already making progress!

Max&Molly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
each and every tiny advancement is HUGE! This says that he is feeling more comfortable around you. You are taking on a huge responsibility here, it will take time and work. But it is all worth it in the end. you have already saved two little lives, and they will enrich your life in the future, you'll see. don't be afraid to post here for ANY advice. No question is dumb, or too repetitive, we all want the same thing, in the end, to save as many cats as we can and to show people how rewarding it can be! You are already making progress!
He started eating in front of me this morning as well. Yay. I plan to spend more time with them this weekend just sitting in their room while reading or on my phone so they can continue to get used to me. I sometimes sing softly as well. I tell myself that they like it. 😊

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have two cats that were adopted as ferals. One in June of 2020 (sister) and one in July (brother). Two mornings ago the girl tapped on our door at about 530 am. To my surprise she ran in the room, jumped on the bed, started purring and wanted to be petted. This was a first, for her. The boy is still shy but loves pets and treats. It just takes time, and patience.