Domesticating Adult Semi-feral Cat

Trish1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have worked at the same company for 11 years. A coworker was feeding feral cats at a designated location at the back of our parking lot near the woods, and I began assisting her with the feeding schedule about 6 years ago. Some cats have come and gone, and a few have been present the entire time. Most do not associate with each other and only a couple will eat together.

Most have been spayed or neutered and released. One in particular that completely refuses to associate with any other cat has become quite attached to me as I not only am a food source for her, but also spend time petting her. We have interacted with each other for years, and we are to the point that she will jump into my car when I open the door as I give her handheld treats. I can completely rub her from head to tail, and she will even sleep in my lap for minutes at a time (I believe that she feels completely safe in my presence and might be the only time she can completely sleep without being on guard). She has never bitten me or swiped at me. She does not interact with any other human.

My question is whether or not I could ever domesticate her into my home? I am at the point where I don't even want to change jobs because I am so concerned as to what would become of her. I have one domesticated male cat in my home that is used to being the king of the castle and am also not sure how he would interact with her. However, when he smells her on me, he licks and rubs my hand and generally doesn't seem to be bothered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for the delay in response. :thud:

From what you say it would be possible to bring her home. A nice slow introduction period and you could have a new family member.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's been so long since you wrote that you may no longer need us to let you know that bringing this sweetheart home is a terrific idea. I am so very sorry that no one replied to your thread before yesterday. :paperbag: :angrywoman: This is not how we like to treat new members (or any member for that matter).

I hope you have brought her home already but just in case, to answer your first question - yes, it should be possible to domesticate her. This article on taming feral cats has some good information about that: Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat? Take a look at this one as well - it discusses what's involved in bringing an outdoor cat inside: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Before bringing her home, protect your Resident Cat by taking her to the vet for a check-up and any necessary vaccinations, tests, flea treatments or dewormings she may need. If she is already home but separate from your Resident Cat, take care of the vet appointment before you let them be together. If the two of them are already happily playing together, take her to the vet and keep observe Resident Cat closely over the next few weeks for anything suggesting he's contacted something unpleasant. (Scratching, diarrhea, vomiting etc.)

Normally when a new cat is brought home, an introduction is done which can take anywhere from a day to months. Some cats instantly accept each other and it's not necessary but that is the exception. This article describes how to introduce two cats: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide It basically involves starting New Cat off in a safe room of her own, swapping scents and gradually increasing the exposure of the two cats to each other. You will need to give each separate one-on-one time with you, playing, cuddling, grooming etc.

Since New Cat is semi-feral, be prepared for her to freak out when she's in her safe room. She may throw herself around and yowl frantically trying to escape or she may be utterly terrified and hide, refusing to come out. It will help if you control the hiding places available - you don't want her to get stuck somewhere. An upside down cardboard box with a door cut in the side might be all she needs. Be sure to make it cozy in there with a blanket and a stuffed toy. If she won't accept that, look around the room and look for ways that you can make small spaces for her by moving furniture or the creative use of blankets. Hiding under the bed is the classic cat move and that's fine as long as it's not too much trouble to get her out again. You don't want to be using a broom on a frightened cat.

While she's in her room, try playing soft music for her - harp music seems to be especially soothing. Stock the room with a cat tree, a litter box and toys. The cat tree isn't strictly necessary if you have some way for her to get up high and to look out the window(s). And of course, spend time with her. It's important to let her come to you, though. She needs to feel in control right now as much as necessary, to let her have time to get used to her surroundings and to you again. She needs to figure out that you're still the special person she knew back in the parking lot.

It's a wonderful thing you're doing, helping the feral cats at work and bringing this little sweetheart home. In a way, I think you have to bring her home because you certainly don't want to be stuck in the job if you would really rather move on. The fact that you'd even consider doing so tells me that you and this cat need to be together. :redheartpump:

BTW: Better late than never - I'd like to extend a very warm welcome to TCS.
Welcome 136x110.gif
Please ask any questions that come up as you change from a one cat home to a two cat home. And when you get a chance, show us pictures of this sweetie who has stolen our heart. We would love to see them!

And again, I am so sorry for the delay in replying to your thread.