Dog litter

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone use anything besides puppy pads? Wanted to know if it was any good. Have a very hard to train dog and was thinking of trying this but wanted to see if anyones had luck with it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Purina makes a paper based pellet ... think yesterdays news... It has urine scent in it... I had some pet sitting pups who actually used worlds best cat litter...

Most success I have seen and heard about is dogs under 15 lbs that start at a very young age

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a secure run and doggie door for when you are not available and around to let the dog out? Supervision like a puppy would be and letting out frequently? Crate training?
There are some options for indoor bathrooms: the pee pads, litterbox just like for cats, shavings (this is used for some puppies in litters), shredded news papers, and fake grass

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way this house is setup theres no option for outside access, the town won't allow a run on front or sides and the back is the cats play area.

Pee pads I am done with he just tears them up even with the holder(and tape in the middle of tray). Fake grass I was looking into a bit concerned as hes 42 lbs and may out pee its holding capacity. The litter box seems to be the option of choice. Going to look into using carefresh bedding and a very low sided storage tote or something similar as think he may pick up better on that then the pellets. Was able to see a bag that was leaking and having doubts he will be ok with them now.

With all the cats here maybe he will see that as an option for himself to use from seeing them use it

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I tell other people with puppies. DO NOT USE PADS, LITTER PANS, NEWSPAPERS, etc. to train your puppy. All it does is teach the puppy that its ok to pee/poop in the house and they will not stay on the pads, litter pan, etc - they will go wherever they choose to go.

Take the puppy/dog OUTSIDE every time - no matter if its big, small, cold, hot. All dogs should be trained to be peeing outside. If you observe any dog outside, they will walk around a bit and pee, then walk around to poop. And the next time they will pee in a different spot.

Dogs are NOT cats and should not be treated as such and should not be expected to use a litter pan or pee pads either.

Start by taking the dog/puppy outside on a leash and stand there and encourage to "potty quickly" - no playing, no turning loose in the yard - on leash only. The dog needs to know why its out there. Once the dog does it, praise the heck out of the dog and within a few weeks your dog will more/less pee on "command".

Crate the puppy when inside and you cannot supervise. You will have a lot less problems if you do it right from the beginning. No reason for any dog not to be house trained by 4-6 months old max - otherwise your dog will continue to pee in the house and you will get mad when its doing exactly what you have taught it to do.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little background info on this dog
hes abouot 2 yo or a bit older was kept for a year in a crate urine burns all over then shelter got him. I have had him almost a year. walks dont do anything as he wont go with me that close if he does its only after near exhaustion from walking a few miles which will agrevate his foot issue at this point. Only way he will go outside if let out on tie out leash. he will hold it till we go in and go anywhere then lay down in it. I am looking at this point to solve the issue of skin irratation more then training him. Didn't realize the litter was pellets.

I am not trying to treat him like a cat im trying to do anything possible to prevent any more skin damage/hurt for him as he has on/off days/weeks with going out. He will pee sniff it and lay down in it cage/floor don't matter much to him. Only place hes yet to pee is my car not sure if its cause hes buckled into the bucket seat and thats to close or what but will not bark or let me know on car trips it may be ust dumb luck at this point

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I understand, but the dog will not use one spot (litter pan) to pee in. He will continue to pee anywhere he chooses in the house.

Don't walk him to pee- take him outside and stand there in the spot you want him to go and don't play, etc - he can be trained to pee outside.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The last thing I'd want to do is teach a dog it's ok to potty inside. Pee pads have their uses for older dogs who have old bladders in case of emergency(or incontinence issues), but sometimes they won't use them if properly housebroken, they know it's not ok to potty inside the house.

Take him outside, stand in one place(or you can sit) and don't let him back in until you see him pee(and praise him when he does). He already thinks it's ok to potty in the house, you do not want to reinforce that idea.

At 42 lbs he's too large to be litter trained anyways, it's designed for little foo foo dogs.

Unless he has physical issues(back injury or nerve damage) there is no reason he can't be housebroken. Even really 'dumb'/stubborn dogs can be house broken it just takes time and lots of it.

You never want to give a dog the idea that it's ok to potty inside. Cats naturally will have only a few spots they use, but dogs don't. They might have general areas but not specific spots. They also don't pee and poop in the same location.

Taryn

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok since this was going to be to line his cage not as litter does anyone have some idea on what to use? a special towel or anything to keep pee away from him? I never was planning on him using a box I was thinking of getting a tote large enough(to put cage in) or two and cutting sides off to make something that could be lined so he will stay dry.

Only other thing I can think of is buy a new crate with a wire floor but really not to keen on that(hes the type that would manage to get caught.

His skins taking a beating and hes not caged for that long, few hours for stores or moms house.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is STILL the idea of him peeing IN the house. Even in the crate should not be acceptable. That is the point. The dog has to be taught NOT to be peeing in the house, in the crate.

I suppose there are SOME dogs that refuse to be housebroken. Only suggestion (because of his size and refusal to be housetrained), is to set something up in the yard - a fenced in kennel with a igloo dog house lined with straw for bedding.

The bottom line here is that the dog should not be allowed to pee in the house for any reason. I would never have a dog in the house with a peeing problem.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thanks for your advice, trust me I don't enjoy this anymore then anyone else would. Since its not a constant thing and he fairs so well with my cats I guess thats why. I can't have him outside cause area we are in would try to steal him to fight him(fe blocks away they busted a dog fighter after we moved in).

I am just trying to give him the best life I can. But my main concern at this points the sores from coming back. In a year we are moving so maybe then there will be a better setup option for him being able to be outside more(and no not like a yard dog chained on 6ft 24/7!

BTW its not just peeing he will poop in there to when hes in the mood. But thats the thing SOMETIMES he will go out. I just can't figure the reason out neither can a few other ppl I have talked to. same foods/daily life which isnt that stressful.
Thanks for taking the time to answer appreciate it.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are my choices really? send him back to overrun shelter with his issues/send him to a board and train($$$)/euthanize him. Nothing can really be damaged as we were going to redo the living areas with tile before we ran into many issues with house and decided to let it foreclose. house is all concrete slab and I try to get him to go out more then in. I guess we are on 2 different pages. I understand he may never be 100 % I was trying to find something to help his SKIN. Not that I dont value the house its just I value the living breathing dogs body. hes great with us. We put alot into his care/protection of him.
At our next house some area will be set aside or DREAM come true it will be tiled(picking up in popularity for rentals near here) I will not let him free roam a house and ruin it owning it or renting it. Same for my cats.
Husband and I are losing our home we have battled more things then most IMO. At this point we can't have kids and this is my baby, along with the cats. I clean up as he makes messes. I have talked to ppl(lady at shelter, vet, vet tech, vet tech contacted her rescue friend who has close to a dozen pits) I have money but not unlimited money.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your best bet is to find a trainer that specialized in hard to train cases like this. It may cost a bit, but it shouldnt be unreasonable!