Dog food…

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I went shopping last week, and picked out a dry food for my cats. In the store, I passed the dog food, got to cat food, and picked one that looked good for them. Brought it home and fed as usual. I just put a heaping tablespoon mixed in with their canned food. I was busy, so my husband fed the cats a few nights ago, and asked my why I bought them dog food….turns out I did! :flail: I went back to the store, and sure enough, it’s mixed in with the cat food. It’s just got that little square in the upper left that says “dog food.” So my question is…should I give this bag to a dog owner, or is it ok for my cats just for this bag?
IMG_0779.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So my question is…should I give this bag to a dog owner, or is it ok for my cats just for this bag?
Please give this bag of dog food to someone who own dogs.

Cat food and dog food are formulated differently as cats and dogs need different nutrients and dog food will be deficient in some key nutrients that the cats needed.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went shopping last week, and picked out a dry food for my cats. In the store, I passed the dog food, got to cat food, and picked one that looked good for them. Brought it home and fed as usual. I just put a heaping tablespoon mixed in with their canned food. I was busy, so my husband fed the cats a few nights ago, and asked my why I bought them dog food….turns out I did! :flail: I went back to the store, and sure enough, it’s mixed in with the cat food. It’s just got that little square in the upper left that says “dog food.” So my question is…should I give this bag to a dog owner, or is it ok for my cats just for this bag?View attachment 462219
Honestly-they should have paid attention stocking their shelves imo and even though it was opened I'd expect and request a refund..... if you didn't mention the little square in the corner I'd have thought it was cat food too- not good and it should not be in the cat food section in the first place

Good advice from everyone- dog food is formulated for dogs,not cats

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly-they should have paid attention stocking their shelves imo and even though it was opened I'd expect and request a refund..... if you didn't mention the little square in the corner I'd have thought it was cat food too- not good and it should not be in the cat food section in the first place

Good advice from everyone- dog food is formulated for dogs,not cats
That reminds me of a video I saw where Kroger stores were stocking an avocado hair oil in with the avocado oil in the grocery section. :headscratch:

Yes, definitely give to a dog owner or perhaps see if a local rescue would be in need.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It happened to me as well, the packages were very similar, only very small details wold differentiate them.

Dog Food instead of Cat Food for over two months

Just to give you some words of comfort, nothing happened to my cat even after two months.
I'm so glad you mentioned that!Yeah,our kitties are not going to suffer malnutrition or any other terrible consequences from accidentally eating some dog food .... basically most things thst are toxic to cats are also toxic to dogs as well so although the foods are specifically formulated to meet a cats or dogs nutritional requirements which are vastly different - no worries,no harm no foul ❤.....

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad you mentioned that!Yeah,our kitties are not going to suffer malnutrition or any other terrible consequences from accidentally eating some dog food .... basically most things thst are toxic to cats are also toxic to dogs as well so although the foods are specifically formulated to meet a cats or dogs nutritional requirements which are vastly different - no worries,no harm no foul ❤.....
You're feeding wet too, so they got the taurine from that! My understanding is that is one of the major issues.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and the canned is DEFINITELY cat food!
When I used to use the big cans of cat food( before they had the little cans) I would refrigerate the unused half in a little tupperware- one day when I was married I went to feed the cats and the cat food was not in the frig so I asked my ex where'd the cat food go?

Lol,the idiot made a cat food sandwich and was wondering why it tasted " different"..... different?!!!!Imagine thst?!!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used to use the big cans of cat food( before they had the little cans) I would refrigerate the unused half in a little tupperware- one day when I was married I went to feed the cats and the cat food was not in the frig so I asked my ex where'd the cat food go?

Lol,the idiot made a cat food sandwich and was wondering why it tasted " different"..... different?!!!!Imagine thst?!!!
How different can cat food be from spam? They look and smell pretty much the same.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
How different can cat food be from spam? They look and smell pretty much the same.
No idea but he put it in a sandwich and ate it- it sure looked and smelled different to me but from being in the frig it was not such a strong smell- still,I'm very fussy over tuna,I wouldn't even eat chunk light( yuk). That man would eat anything so when he'd say" you are a great cook" I didn't consider it a conpliment- lol.

Hey ,hes Australian and loved vegamite- no disrespect to any Aussies but we sure have different tastes in the USA -----plus I'm not daring at all,if it smells bad I can't try it like venison, liver and most cow meat. But to each his own,right? No cat food for me,lol