Dog food recommendations

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I currently have a very elderly GSD, but have owned dogs for my entire life. I don't have much experience with dog food as all the dogs were/are fed home prepared meals. While it can be done efficiently, it is a lot of work and I would not continue to do it with a new dog as there are so many options now for dogs. When my mother got her first dog when I was a little girl, I still remember the breeder giving her a container of horse meat. My mother freaked out, went home, and did her own thing with preparing food for her dogs. One did live to be 20. Hopefully others who feed a similar food, or feed raw, will respond to you. This looks to be good quality food with safety precautions taken for purity.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of dog food are you looking for? Many commercial brands or dry and canned food can be bought through any chain pet store web site (Petco, Petsmart, etc), pet supply web sites (Chewy, etc), even on Amazon (likely through third party sellers selling products at marked up prices. Beware).

Specialty and independent pet stores often sell various brands and kinds of raw pet foods if that is what you are interested in. Some brands only sell directly through their web site and may be subscription only.