Dog Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 dogs are by far smarter than cats. You go up to most dogs and tell them to sit they'll sit. You go up to most cats and tell them to sit they'll look at you like "What do you want me to do here?" Dogs have the greatest comprehension and are the easiest to train of any pet. I currently have 70 or 80 something dogs right now. I think I know that they're way way way way way way smarter than cats.
My cat knows sit... LOL :-D

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I looked into it, and I don't want to spay my girls. My vet actually said directly to my face, that my unfixed dogs are a lot healthier than fixed ones.
Spayed pets are healthier, happier and live longer. Un-spayed cats and dogs have kittens and puppies that end up in streets and then are euthanized. Your vet is wrong and i am not trying to be mean, but that's the truth, pets who are not spayed or neutered are more likely to get diseases to . My cat was neutered at 2 months old and has not been sick once and is now almost 2 years old.

Kiki's Mommy

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you have a big property for all those dogs and have some serious money to take care of all of them.

Being a dog trainer I'll say this: dogs are smart, yes, but not as smart as you're giving them credit for. They do what's most beneficial to them unless you train them otherwise using positive reinforcement methods. If you've given them no reason to go outside they won't. A lot of factors go into something like your pregnant dog peeing on the couch. Does she have enough opportunities to go out? Is the pregnancy making her uncomfortable and the puppies pressing on her bladder causing her to suddenly have to pee when you're not home/there's no way for her to get outside? Does the couch smell like other dogs have peed on it, which would give a lot more incentive for dogs to pee on it? Have you encouraged her to go outside by giving her treats and praise when she does and using an enzyme cleaner to clean up accidents inside? All of those play into what's going on here.

The issue of a dog sitting better than a cat is explained by the simple fact that the majority of people don't train their cats to sit. Animals don't speak English, they just associate words with a behavior that gets them what they want. I know plenty of dogs that don't sit and plenty of cats that do.

As far as the issue of spaying and neutering goes, it's one thing to be a responsible breeder of a certain breed (or multiple breeds) who carefully looks into potential buyers and finds permanent, responsible homes for all puppies and understands genetics and health issues and doesn't overbreed females. That's perfectly fine. But like others have said it's a simple fact that spaying and neutering has incredible health benefits and it's very, very risky to leave animals (especially females) intact. Not only because of the health issues but because there are such a mass amount of dogs sitting in shelters that desperately need homes and it's unfair to take away their chances of getting homes because you refuse to spay and neuter your dogs. Whatever your "vet" has told you is simply wrong. 

carinajosefine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see this is an old thread, but as its allready been bumped, Id like to give my humble opinion.

Dogs peeing in the bed: It is not uncommon for the pregnant females to need to go often, and some times they do so in inappropriate places, specially if they arent used to beeing let out as soon as the signal they need to go, or are let out to do their business several times a day. This can become a bad habbit as well, if its not put a stop to right away. Much like with cats, if they are going to go where they shouldn't, they like going on soft and absorbing material. Specially if it allready smells like someone peed there. Block off the bed, and make a huge effort taking them outside a lot.

With many females in one house they can pee to mark, and to "set a point" as well. Often on top of where another dog has peed. This specially apply to females thats been used in breeding.

So to the neutering dilemma: It hurts me that people from abroad (I live in Norway), think you dont care if you dont neuter your dog. In this country you arent even allowed to neuter male OR females, unless theres a health reason, og STRONG animal welfare reason, to do so. Its illegal. This does not really apply to cats, as both the helath aspect, and animal welfare aspect would be affected by female cats beeing comstantly in heat (as opposed to dog being in heat twice a year), and ofcouse the stray cats, housecats going outside fighting, mating and straying putting their life and health in jeopardy. In Norway we dont have stray dogs, and dogs arent allowed out on their own.

I had unspayed gos all my life, with no issues, with health, or happiness. I kept both genders as well, and NEVER had puppies. I am fully capable of keeping my dpgs apart for those few days. I had a female dog neutered due to epilepsy, and she struggeled with her weight and inkontinense after neutering. The fact that dog can get behavioural problems after neutering is also documented.

Its not that black and white. Its not enough to go by, when "judging" wether or not a person is a good dog parent :)

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will only say that even if only half your females have litters in any given year, I don't see how you can properly clean and socialize all the puppies, or find enough homes for all of them or be sure they aren't ending up in shelters. Also, responsible breeders only allow each female to have 3-4 litters (maybe) and then they're spayed to prevent reproductive disease. I also doubt you're doing all proper testing for genetic health problems. So I'll just bow out now as I think this is a very bad situation and I don't want to be involved.
Ditto. Makes me sad.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I checked the local news today amd immediatly thought of this forum. Just today, local authorities rescued 78 animals (cats and dogs), from a single home. It is illegal for them to have that many animals and they deem it as "hoarding" and "deplorable conditions." Most animals were found with severe parasites, amd neglect, plus others with anemiaamd many other conditions
They are speaking openly that this is an "extreme case," because of the excess of animals on the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.