Dog Attack - Cone on Head. Help me I need advice

HelenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

returned home yesterday from the vets with my cat Smog, he’s had a fight with a dog which has resulted in two puncture wounds on either side of his head.

He has a cone on and taking anti bioitics one a day, he’s eating, drinking and sleeping fine. However normally he will only really go to toilet outside but as we can’t let him out, he is point blank refusing to go to toilet inside. He now hasn’t weed or pooed to my knowledge for 24 hours.

I have a litter tray at the back door, one upstairs and another one with soil in from outside to mimic an outdoor poo / wee.
He is getting increasingly distressed, crying non stop to get out.

Am I to just wait for him to give in and get to the point where he just has to go? Is that right ? How long will that take? Is there anything I can be doing to help or alleviate the situation. I know they are hardwired to make us feel guilty etc.

Please any advice is welcome , big or small. Thank you so much in advance.
Helena.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry your cat got into a scuffle with a dog. Since all our cats have been indoors I don't have any experience with them doing their business outside. However, have you tried putting him in the same room as the litter box and closing the door? I would think he'd be more inclined to go if he was confined to one room. The only other thing I can think of if he is set on going outside to defecate/urinate would be to take him out on a cat harness. I'm glad to hear he's eating, drinking and sleeping okay. Perhaps other members may have more suggestions for you. Best of luck to you, please keep us updated.:alright:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on where you live he may never have seen anything like clay litter. You might get a pan a few inches deep and fill it with dirt from your backyard. This is probably what he's used to using. If he pees somewhere else, blot it up and bury the paper towel in the litter box. Same if he poops. Right now there is a good chance he hasn't got the faintest idea what litter boxes are about. And he's wondering what he's supposed to do. Kittens actually have to be shown how to use them, it's not in their genetics. Once they see how to do it, it may take a couple of times, they'll usually be good with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think taking him outside with a harness, or whatever you can use to keep him from straying and see if he will go is a good idea. But, if he does go, collect the pee/poop and the 'medium' he used and place it all inside a litter box inside the house, along with more the same soil/mulch/etc. If not an actual litter box, you can also try a cardboard box lid. Leaving his 'stuff' in that box might be enough to convince him to use it when he needs to go again.

If he doesn't go, you are just going to have to wait him out by placing him in a room with both litter box set ups and occasionally place him in the boxes to see if he will go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelenaM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

returned home yesterday from the vets with my cat Smog, he’s had a fight with a dog which has resulted in two puncture wounds on either side of his head.

He has a cone on and taking anti bioitics one a day, he’s eating, drinking and sleeping fine. However normally he will only really go to toilet outside but as we can’t let him out, he is point blank refusing to go to toilet inside. He now hasn’t weed or pooed to my knowledge for 24 hours.

I have a litter tray at the back door, one upstairs and another one with soil in from outside to mimic an outdoor poo / wee.
He is getting increasingly distressed, crying non stop to get out.

Am I to just wait for him to give in and get to the point where he just has to go? Is that right ? How long will that take? Is there anything I can be doing to help or alleviate the situation. I know they are hardwired to make us feel guilty etc.

Please any advice is welcome , big or small. Thank you so much in advance.
Helena.
Just to add he is not a kitten, he is 18 months old.