Does Tractor Supply's Paws And Claws Brand Look Like Good Cat Food?

RoofTopPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I Was Wondering What You Cat Parents Thought Of The Ingredients
In Tractor Supply's New "Own Brand" Of Cat Food?

I'm Asking Because I Can Get (32) 5.5-oz. Cans for $15.99
At My Local Tractor Supply.

Ingredients Wise; Does This Look Comparable Too Friskie's???

Here are some Ingredient Lists:

Chicken Dinner:
Water Sufficient For Processing, Meat By-Products, Chicken, Poultry By-Products, Fish, Rice Flour, Guar Gum, Added Color, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Vitamins (Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Magnesium Sulfate, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Carrageenan.
Chicken & Tuna Dinner:
Water Sufficient For Processing, Meat By-Products, Chicken, Poultry By-Products, Fish, Tuna, Rice Flour, Guar Gum, Salt, Added Color, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Vitamins (Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Carrageenan, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine.
Poultry Platter:
Turkey, Poultry By-Products, Water Sufficient For Processing, Meat By-Products, Animal Liver, Fish, Salt, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine.
Turkey & Giblet Dinner:
Meat By-Products, Water Sufficient For Processing, Turkey, Poultry By-Products, Poultry Giblets, Fish, Rice Flour, Guar Gum, Salt, Added Color, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Carrageenan, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m in Canada but I’ve heard others say this is decent and comparable to Friskies.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Meh, this probably wouldn't be something I'd feed if I was choosing between canned foods. Although meat by-products can be good, I don't like to see it as the first ingredient. The gums, carrageenan, and rice flour also are negatives for me. If you're on a budget though it's better than feeding dry foods. I would only feed the tuna one occasionally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RoofTopPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks My Cat Only Gets Seafood Meals On Fridays anyway.
I guess that gives away the fact that we're Catholic. ROFL!!!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although meat by-products can be good, I don't like to see it as the first ingredient. The gums, carrageenan, and rice flour also are negatives for me.
I also wouldn't feed this particular food because of the carrageenan and rice flour. (I will feed limited gums, though.) They are very similar to Friskies, though.

The best of the Paws & Claws foods are the Kitchen Selects, which have a named meats as the first ingredients and don't have carrageenan. Kitchen Selects.

The Kitchen Selects are pretty similar to Fancy Feast pates but without the synthetic vitamin K. Our cats weren't especially impressed with them, other than the turkey and giblets, but they're very decent food for the money because there aren't any potatoes, grains, peas, or other legumes in the ingredients.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This post really deals more with the appeal of Paws & Claws to the cats, rather than the completeness of its nutrition.

I tried TSC's food because it is slightly cheaper than Friskies, which has had price increases recently. Paws & Claws has somewhat more aroma than Friskies. My cats really love it, but it causes them digestive problems, so I limit the amount they get. It's very close to the texture and color of Friskies as well.