Does this warrant a vet visit? Can it wait?

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, all
One of my cats (rescue off of streets, but about 5 years old) has had some digestive troubles. He is 4.9kg - a little bit overweight, losing it slowly. He is usually allowed outside, but on the evening of the 18th, I noticed dark residue around his anus - not black, but darker than his usual poo, and liquid. That morning, he had only eaten half of his food (but had eaten happily since) but when I called the vet they said to get him back to his routine - he has had a stressful time since he ate some thread last week.

Of course, I notice the poo issue after my vet practice has closed. I start keeping him inside with a litter tray in case it clears itself up and so I can monitor. I wake up to a dark, half liquid poo in the tray. Uh oh. I find the number for the emergency vets, but then he does a much lighter, still softish poo. I might still call it diarrhoea, but it's an improvement. I also found a hairball which could've been from either cat, and no vomit.

I start him on boiled chicken only to try and get his tummy settled. Hours later, he does another softish, light coloured poo. It seems more solid than previous ones, but not perfect. I realise that suddenly locking him jnside when his brother can still go out might be stressful and causing him issues.

What should I do? Does he need the emergency vets? Does he need the vets at all? Is this an acceptable cat poo, and its not important that it's a bit lighter thsn usual? Can that be caused by a sudden chicken diet? I would really appreciate guidance! Attached are pictures of pretty much every symptom described, with the best lighting on his most recent poo in litter tray.

Attachments

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of them do look a bit runny, best to get him checked by the vet when you can, just to be sure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some of them do look a bit runny, best to get him checked by the vet when you can, just to be sure
Got it! Thanks very much. This sounds like it can wait until tomorrow when the vets open? And would your advice change if he had a completely normal poo before they open?

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just by virtue of him eating thread, even if it was a week ago, I would have him checked out by the vet.
Understood. I mentioned it because I thought there was a chance it was relates. To be clear, I got him to the emergency vets after he ate the thread. They did a lot of scans and an IVso he has a shaved belly and arm. He was fine and they did not operate, but the vet did not check if he passed the thread - only that he was passing faeces at all. I bring it up because there was mention that the thread could "scrape" on the way out, and I figured that could have something to do with it. Apologies for lack of clarity before!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got it! Thanks very much. This sounds like it can wait until tomorrow when the vets open? And would your advice change if he had a completely normal poo before they open?
Its always best to check with the vet, if you are worried about anything :catrub:

crumblycat9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: He had two more liquid, light poos despite the boiled chicken diet, so I have brought him to the vets. They could find nothing wrong and gave a probiotic, said to continue the chicken, let him go outside in case stress was the cause, and told me to keep an eye out if this continues. Will add more if anything of note happens, but if not, it will have worked!