Does this look normal - drainage tube removal area

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had a drainage tube removed from her mammary area on Saturday and I'm concerned with how it looks now. It was removed 68-70 hrs after a lumpectomy. It was supposed to be removed after 3-5 days.

The vet cleaned up the area after she took out the tube. It was weepy or oozy until Sunday. The area the tube was removed from appeared to be 96% closed on Saturday. It now appears to be mostly open and raw(?) underneath. There does not seem to be any discharge from it.

I don't know, but I suspect she used surgical glue to close it, then cleaned the area with water or solution. I suspect this loosened the surgical glue. Either that or it was not yet time for the tube to come out and the discharge loosened the glue. Also possible I'm overreacting.

I have included a horrible picture. Sorry, I'm an idiot with photo editing programs and didn't want too much identifying markings on the cat to show. Never sure if anyone from the vet clinic looks at these forums.

drain tube hole

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, can you send the pictures you have taken to your vet? Talking with them would really be your best course of action. Or, if you don't trust them and would rather not talk with them, you'll want to find a different vet;

You are being redirected... this is a link for an online directory.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are closed now and I wasn't sure if I was overreacting. I thought someone here might know if the picture looked abnormal.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have now determined that this area needs to be seen. It's oozy or there's some weird discharge from it.
My concern was also that the doctor deliberately did this to get more money out of me. After the tube was removed and the cat came home, that area was too wet in my opinion. It just seemed odd for it to be like that. Then for that hole to be open a little bit seemed strange. Why send a cat home like that?

I'm worried they will tell me it's my fault and then try to charge me. Once I'm done with them, I don't think I'll be going back. Should've listened to the online reviews. The problem is that people recently made poor reviews against another doctor, at another clinic because she was wearing a face mask. They gave a 1-star rating because of a face mask. There's no way to know if reviews are honest, unbiased, and justifiable.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet clinic and I have an appointment. They said there shouldn't be a charge, we'll see (I don't deny I'm paranoid). They also said that it was normal to leave a small opening after the tube is removed. :confused2::confused2::confused2: I told them they should've told me that. They agreed and said there was a communication issue. Funny, this is the fourth(?) communication issue in a week. Never had this type of problem at my previous vet clinic.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it’s probably fine. I think maybe it was removed too soon, but hard to tell, and I am not a vet. If it was my cat, I would do some warm compressing of the area if she will tolerate it.
I don’t think they would use surgical glue on an area like that.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really make out anything in that picture sorry. There is so much gray the image just looks like a speck.

But things to watch for would be oozing, bad smell, and delayed healing. If in doubt contact your vet.