Does my cat's weight look OK?

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 year-old cat who has a bigger frame - definitely not a main coon but he's a bigger guy. He has always been in the 12-13 pound range. At his annual checkups, the vet generally says something like "he's a little overweight but given his size I'm not that worried." His last official weigh-in at the vet was in October and he was 12.5 pounds.

When I weigh him on our home scale, which of course has caveats when comparing to a scale at the vet, he's about 10 pounds now. So he lost about 2 pounds in maybe 3-4 months which is obviously a lot. I wonder if some of that is the change in activity level - in October he had a dental cleaning with extractions - nothing major just a few very wiggly teeth - and I noticed afterwards a rebound in his energy levels in terms of playing with our other cat and running around. Total speculation that he probably spent a year or two with some mouth pain and the extractions relieved it, but even still he's at a historic low weight. He's on Friskies wet food and Purina Pro Indoor dry food. He seems to have leveled off and hasn't been losing any more weight, he's been stable at about 10 pounds or slightly over for about 2 months now.

He also doesn't seem "hungry" in terms of asking for food. As far as I can tell, he has a healthy appetite, we have an auto-feeder so I can tell how much he's eating. When the food drops he doesn't sprint the bowl, he's a grazer. And he is not shy about banging on the cannister when he's ready for more but he doesn't really do it much and if I give him a little extra he will walk away before finishing it all, so he doesn't seem "hungry" - he's also still running around so seems to have energy.

Maybe I just got used to him being overweight but I want to make sure he's not underweight. Curious if you all think he looks normal and can wait for his next annual checkup 4-5 months from now to discuss with the vet. Photos attached, thanks!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
He's a little on the slim side in my opinion. If you wanted to, you could add some extra treats that have calories and maybe find a food that has more calories and add that for a meal every couple days or so.

Keep a log of his weight if you aren't already so you can spot any changes especially decreases. I think you're ok not going in at the moment although I'm not a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can use this body condition chart to compare him to. Use the 'touch' guides noted at the bottom to help better gauge him.
Thanks for sharing! I would say he's a 4 based on this. The tricky thing he he still has his promodial pouch so it's hard to tell how high his waist is... it's just hard to tell by looking at him given his fur if any ribs or spine or anything is showing. It does seem that if he's under weight it's only very slightly so probably not worth a vet trip as long as he maintains.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A few extra treats - as mentioned above - might not be a bad idea!! :yummy:

I forgot to mention that about this chart (and, all others) - it doesn't depict the primordial pouch almost all cats get and don't lose even with weight loss in other places.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll measure the dent to the waist on the side rather than the bottom where his belly is. Hope that helps!
Especially as there can be hanging after weight loss.