Does my cat look bloated or am I seeing things?

justneedanswers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 12 y/o cat has frequent constipation issues which is generally managed with miralax and the occasional cisapride. About 1 month ago she had to get a steroid injected because she had so much trapped gas inside of her she couldn’t pass stool. For the past 5 days she’s been really struggling to have a normal bowel movement (alternating between small, dry balls and very liquidy stool) even with cisapride and I can’t tell if it’s the normal constipation or gas again :( She's eating slightly less (normal when she's backed up) but otherwise she’s been the same as always. I feel bad but she’s skittish and rarely lets me touch her so I honestly couldn’t tell she was bloated before and I’ve been super paranoid since the vet visit so I’d really like another pairs of eyes! Are her ribs supposed to stick out like that?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome! I think she might be gassy but as you mentioned, it's a bit challenging to know for certain. Have you had a chance to send these photos to your vet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excess gas can be caused by the same things that cause constipation - foods that don't agree with your cat's system, as one example, and irritable bowel syndrome as another. In many cases gas can build up because of constipation. I'd ask your vet about this aspect and the connection between the two and ask for things that might help besides steroids. Maybe it will require additional tests, or at a minimum a change in diet.