Does it sound like an emergency to you?

WinterTeaandCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am worried about my cat, but I would appreciate some opinions.
The situation:
Species: Cat
Sex/Neuter status: Male, neutered
Body weight: 7.3 kg (not sure in lb)
History: last September we had a scare when he stopped pooping/peeing, and the vet kept him two or 3 days, however no exact cause was found. He did not have a urinary blockage. The vet suggested hairballs may have caused severe constipation and the discomfort/pain from that caused the issue peeing. He is a bit overweight.
Clinical signs: for the past 3 days, he has been eating less and using the litter box less than usual.
He did pee (normal amount) twice today, and drinks as much as usual. He had less appetite on Monday and Tuesday, but has been asking for food today. He defecated twice (I think) since Sunday or Monday, including once this morning. It looked kinda dry, but not more than usual (he is always on the constipated side)
He threw up once, undigested food, just after eating, on Monday, and made weird licking movements tonight after eating for half a second (he had done that last time, so it worries me).
He seems a bit more cuddly than usual maybe, but otherwise normal levels of energy, playful, purrs when being brushed as usual. Maybe he sleeps in a different position (on the side) than usual, but... I may also just be obsessing about it.
On Sunday, a dog visited my place for 2 hours. It was the first time my cat met a dog, so it may have been stressful, even though he did not seem particularly anxious during the visit.
He does not seem to be going to the litter box frequently and strain, he just goes... less than normal. His belly feels... full or a bit bloated, though I am really not sure of this observation.
Duration: since Sunday evening/Monday

I am worried that the same thing as last year is happening, and am not sure what to do, and whether this is an emergency. I have an appointment with his regular vet in a week, but I could try other vets to see if they have any earlier opening. If not, any idea, whether I should keep him on dry food (veterinary fiber dry food) or switch him to wet food? Should I feed him or not? Could it be a urinary blockage/issue even though he peed twice today? I know I am sometimes too quick to get worried, especially about my cat, I am just not sure if this is one of these cases.

Thank you!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it is an emergency but again if you do or you are worried get him in sooner. Cats can go downhill rapidly. It could be pancreatitis from your description.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be many things, liver disease, foreign body obstruction, kidney problems or any number of other things. Thing is with cats is that they are very good at hiding their pain. By the time you notice subtle signs something is wrong, something is always very wrong. A week is to long to wait to get him checked out. I would get him in this morning if you can find a Veterinarian. The bloated even if it is slightly bloated is very concerning and can mean many different things, none of them good. You must keep him eating as cats go into a condition called hepatic lipidosis if they do not eat and an over weight cat is at high risk for it. Even with only a reduced diet.

I always think that canned food is better than any dry. But if it is a prescription diet I wouldn't tell you to do something other than what your vet told you. But please do your own research on cats and carbohydrates. Another thing this could be is diabetes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterTeaandCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.
He went to the litter box again this morning (poo) and is eating, drinking and behaving normally.
I will try to get an appointment a bit earlier, as I also feel that a week is a long time to have him checked out.
I don't have a car and work until 5pm, so it is unfortunately difficult to get him to a vet without planning in advance.
Thank you again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please let us know what you find out. Glad you got an appointment....too many symptoms could be flying under the radar to wait a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WinterTeaandCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
We went, and the vet gave him an enema and emptied his bladder.It looks like it was probably constipation due to hair. I brush him every day, but he seems to be shedding ... a lot (he always has, and still has a great fur. He only eats veterinary fiber food, so... food quality should not be an issue. )
I am not sure whether I should start a new thread for a different question (regarding his visit to the vet), or keep to the same topic, to avoid cluttering the boards?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
We went, and the vet gave him an enema and emptied his bladder.It looks like it was probably constipation due to hair. I brush him every day, but he seems to be shedding ... a lot (he always has, and still has a great fur. He only eats veterinary fiber food, so... food quality should not be an issue. )
I am not sure whether I should start a new thread for a different question (regarding his visit to the vet), or keep to the same topic, to avoid cluttering the boards?
Sorry he is having this issue with his fur etc. It’s a good thing you got him in sooner. I would start a new post maybe. I am not sure what would cause this, did dvm say anything? Maybe he needs to be groomed/ brushed more in the shedding season if he is long hair and add some oils or something to his diet to help get any build up out. Some people use a laxative ointment for that. I have forgotten the name of it now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad that you went to the vet and got some relief for your baby. If you have a different subject, start a new thread.