Does it right? ❓❓

Jo ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I would like to know one thing, is it correct if the veterinarian during blood sampling collects blood immediately from the needle into the test tube? does it affect the result? I just found out that this should never be done that it is more correct to collect blood using a syringe or catheter How you think?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is the vet getting blood directly from the needle into the blood tube? It would take a long time to get enough blood for testing without some form of suction, not to mention messy as the animal is unlikely to stay still long enough unless sedated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jo ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so I say after I found out that blood is taken from animals by inserting a needle into a vein and they wait through the hole of the needle until drops of blood fill the test tube, and this takes a lot of time plus stress, I wonder if this can affect the result?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
so I say after I found out that blood is taken from animals by inserting a needle into a vein and they wait through the hole of the needle until drops of blood fill the test tube, and this takes a lot of time plus stress, I wonder if this can affect the result?

Collecting blood from a vein using a needle attached to a syringe is fine. Do you mean the vet or other staff is dispensing the collected blood from the syringe into the blood collection tube with the needle still attached? That can cause blood cells to lyse as they are forced through the needle. Or do you mean the process is more like when a Human gets a blood draw where the technician inserts the needle thing into the vein and then attaches a blood collection tube to the end which then fills with blood?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure how it applies in regards to animals when i get my blood work done thats how they do it use an iv needle end to tap into a vein then plug a test tube into it and swap them out as they fill up (i get on average 5 or more filled each time)i would look like a hype with track marks all over my arm if they used a new syringe to draw blood for each test tube. but i guess it would probably depend on the amounts of blood they need

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jo ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they insert a needle without a syringe after the blood comes out of the needle, substitute a test tube and wait for filling

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they insert a needle without a syringe after the blood comes out of the needle, substitute a test tube and wait for filling

So the needle is removed once blood starts coming out and the blood is then directly collected into the tube? That's not an acceptable method to collect blood. Depending on the location of blood sampling, the blood may just drip out which means the tube takes longer to fill and, yes, that will cause any cat to become super stressed which in turn may affect certain blood values.

I would question the vet about his / her method of taking blood from a pet. If a satisfactory answer is not provided or you get dismissed, I'd be looking for a new vet.