Does anyone know what this bump could be?

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is on my cat who is 10 years old. Last year I noticed a small hump under her skin and took her to the vet. The vet removed some fluid with a syringe, and said they didn’t see anything cancerous or concerning under the microscope. They told me just to keep an eye on it, but it just seems to be a cyst.

Every year around springtime she itches her ears more than usual, and I will put flea medication on her and she gets better, even though she never has a visible flea. I think she has allergies to them as well as seasonal allergies. I noticed the bump after she went to town on her ears itching them like crazy.

Just today I noticed the bump is different. She really does not like to be messed with so I try to leave her be a bit, so I don’t know if the bump is bothering her or if she is being her normal self. It looks like it may have ruptured and scabbed over, and now the skin is trying to grow on top of it. I don’t know for certain. She has a vet appointment for next week. She is acting completely normal as well. I’m also concerned about her going under if she needs to have it removed, because they said they noticed she has a murmur.

If anyone has any insight to what this is I would appreciate it! Thank you!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. Is this the same place as the original bump? You might send that pic to the vet and see if they would want to fit her into their schedule earlier than her next week appt. Ask them about checking with an echocardiogram to see the condition of her heart - that is fairly standard anyway if a cat is older and due to receive anesthesia. But it is possible to do a skin scraping to test the cells most of the time without any sort of sedation. I think that would be the first thing to do before deciding that she needs to have it removed.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. Is this the same place as the original bump? You might send that pic to the vet and see if they would want to fit her into their schedule earlier than her next week appt. Ask them about checking with an echocardiogram to see the condition of her heart - that is fairly standard anyway if a cat is older and due to receive anesthesia. But it is possible to do a skin scraping to test the cells most of the time without any sort of sedation. I think that would be the first thing to do before deciding that she needs to have it removed.
Thanks for the reply! Yes it's in the same place as the original bump. The receptionist did tell me to call 10 minutes before they open tomorrow to see if I could get her in tomorrow. My sister is a vet nurse and said it does look kind of look like a sebaceous cyst, but no way of knowing for sure until I see the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know what happens, please!
I forgot to update but it was a build-up of keratin! She popped it in the vet's office. She did say that it would possibly come back, and my cat does have a slight bump there, but could be scar tissue. Since the bump was moveable she immediately told me it was nothing to worry about, took her in the back and popped it, and brought her back to me telling me what it was.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good. I thought that was what it was myself, but didn't see this sooner to reply. She should be fine, but keep watching as they can reappear.