Does anyone have bearded dragons that can give me some advice. My beardie seems to straining while p

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been doing it for a few weeks now. I don't think she's dehydrated because I feed her plenty of fresh greens with water spritzed on them plus I give her baths and spray her at least twice a day with a water bottle. Usually when she is thirsty she will drink from the water bottle as I'm spraying her. Even though she strains to poo she always manages to get it out. It's like shes having a hard time getting out the urea (pee) sack which always comes first. After that comes out the rest is easy AND watery.  The urea sack also seems to be a bit hard like she's not getting enough hydration but with the greens, baths, and water bottle she should be. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a beardie owner, but I used to pet sit one (and eventually two) for a couple years... is she acting normal otherwise? Does she strain multiple times before getting it out, or does she only have to try once? If she's straining multiple times a day, I would consider calling a vet if a warm bath doesn't work... On that note, have you tried a warm bath? What kind of proteins is she getting? Some of the softer worms might be easier for her to digest and pass, like silk and wax worms (I think?). Do you have an exotic vet you can call or visit?

Hopefully other beardie owners will be able to offer more and she'll feel better soon!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not a beardie owner, but I used to pet sit one (and eventually two) for a couple years... is she acting normal otherwise? Does she strain multiple times before getting it out, or does she only have to try once? If she's straining multiple times a day, I would consider calling a vet if a warm bath doesn't work... On that note, have you tried a warm bath? What kind of proteins is she getting? Some of the softer worms might be easier for her to digest and pass, like silk and wax worms (I think?). Do you have an exotic vet you can call or visit?

Hopefully other beardie owners will be able to offer more and she'll feel better soon!
Yep acting completely normal otherwise. Active and eating like a pig. She only has to strain when starting the act of having a bowel movement and not for very long before it comes out. Lately I've been giving her more greens than insects so maybe if I gave her insects more often it would help. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I think the problem came to light today. She has been shedding and I think dead skin was blocking her um exit. The skin came off today and had a BM a short time after and it came out fine. 

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick question/side note about warm baths. What temperature is the water, and are you using a "repti-safe" water additive? Chlorine and other minerals can build up and eventually harm them.