Does anyone else have a Sokoke Cat?

kezziekkg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, this is completely random,

Just over a year ago I got a random Kitten from where I live (I'm from New Zealand and I live in a small Town called Westport), at first I just assumed he was a Tabby, there are so many different looking Tabby's after all.
As time went by, up until now, people continued to comment on how slim and lithe he was and how his coloring was odd, I just thought he was unique and carried on, I have no idea what his Brother's looked like or who ended up adopting them, I also didn't know the name of the Lady she seemed in a hurry to just drop him in my hands and run, if I recall she didn't even say "Hello".

I'll include some photos below. Anyhow, I was googling different sentences to try and see if anyone had a cat like him, if there were pictures of Tabby's like him and finally I found one, under the name "Sokoke" which I then proceeded to look up. What made me disbelieve initially was the fact that Sokoke's are so rare, probably especially so in my Country, but the more I read the more literally EVERYTHING fits in with him.
He's always been an odd Cat, we also have a female TabbyxTortie, I have just never seen a cat like him in my entire life and a lot of other people have expressed the same views.

I'm not an expert on Cat's so I wondered if I posted some pictures if some people could give me some opinions, my Vet has also expressed that he may in fact be partially, if not fully, Sokoke. I've looked up Breeders in new Zealand and there is none but that doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Thank you all for reading!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the thing about purebred cats---they're developed from regular domestic cats. Someone has a really cool cat, and they say "hey, I want to see if I can make more of these" and then they try to solidify those traits through selective breeding. So almost any trait you see in purebred cats can be found in the general cat population (except the flat face of Persians/Exotic Shorthairs---that takes many generations of selective breeding). Personality traits, especially, are not well-established in cat breeds, and the descriptions given by the breed clubs are what they aim for, but not all purebreds have that kind of personality, and any random cat might have that kind of personality. Personality is not a good indication of breed.

He is very unique-looking, and he may even have some kind of foreign background; you just never know who might have brought their pet from another country, and that pet had babies, etc. Maybe even from the same area of Africa that Sokokes originate from. But there is almost no chance that he's an actual Sokoke (or even part) from the selectively bred, pedigreed lines, if there are no breeders in your country.

He sounds very special! And he's definitely gorgeous. Enjoy him!