Does an omega 3 overdose exist?

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
So.
I was preparing a batch yesterday (yes that’s my Saturday evening’s prefered activity) and i had set aside 5000 mg fish oil. I turn around for the meat and kinda forgot about it (chopping meat is a deeply absorbing activity). And then, there he was, liking at the bottom of the plate, he had liked ALL of the oil in one go…
This morning, his stool was a bit soft, and he does smell fish, but other than that he’s quite ok.
Do i have a supercat or is 5000mg of fish oil not that much of a problem?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its sooner overdose of D-vitamine which isnt good. So, avoid giving him any extra D-vitamine for a while...
Unsworen is best, but I dont think it should be dangerous for real.

The rare poo is common when you take much oil, we in fact often recommend food oil to soften upp constipation.
But if you wish to be sure; ask your vet, or if there is a "poison-information" centrale in your country...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Its sooner overdose of D-vitamine which isnt good. So, avoid giving him any extra D-vitamine for a while...
Unsworen is best, but I dont think it should be dangerous for real.

The rare poo is common when you take much oil, we in fact often recommend food oil to soften upp constipation.
But if you wish to be sure; ask your vet, or if there is a "poison-information" centrale in your country...
Actually it's omega 3 vitamin, no D. I supply the vit D through liver, not oil.
We're due to the vet next week, so I'll give them a call beforehand.
Thanks!

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
There are some concerns, so you may want to contact your vet. Likely though you'll just await to see if she has symptoms.

Fish Oil
Thanks for the link, I've read that a high dosage of fish oil can be detrimental to pancreatic function only if the nutrition is very high in fats too.
So far he's eaten and slept and asked to eat again and is currently asking for cuddles, so I really don't see any side effects so far!
I'll phone my vet tomorrow just to be sure.
Many thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the link, I've read that a high dosage of fish oil can be detrimental to pancreatic function only if the nutrition is very high in fats too.
So far he's eaten and slept and asked to eat again and is currently asking for cuddles, so I really don't see any side effects so far!
I'll phone my vet tomorrow just to be sure.
Many thanks!
I think it should mostly be fine.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually it's omega 3 vitamin, no D. I supply the vit D through liver, not oil.
We're due to the vet next week, so I'll give them a call beforehand.
Thanks!
I mean oil too contains lotsa of vitamine d.

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean oil too contains lotsa of vitamine d.
Oh ok i didn’t know that! I thought that codfish oil contains vit a&d and we don’t use it because liver has enough of both!