Do you use a wet mop on your floors? If so, what type?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swiffer is a brand name of a line of household cleaning dusting cloths and wet cloths and spray maps. If you don't have Swiffer where you are, here's the US web site with more info: http://swiffer.com/en-us

I had a Bona spray mop once. I put it together following the instructions but it did not work. So that got returned. Maybe I bought a bad one. I now use the Rubbermaid spray mop. I have a regular Libman mop as well. I have a steam cleaner / vacuum (Shark brand) but hardly ever use it.
As I don't do the cleaning, I'm quite happy with the squeegee and cloth. We don't have anything like that and my cleaner wouldn't use it anyway.

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a mop essentially identical to the one pictured in the original post. I only have about  8 square meters of moppable floors in my house. I'd rather use the swiffer type thing. I'm not really worried about the makeup of commercial home cleaning products, but the smells bother my nose, so I clean almost everything except the shower and toilet with what I call my "hippie cleaner" - half vinegar and half water with a few drops of dish soap. I usually just pour a bit on the floor and mop it around. It takes a little more elbow grease, but it doesn't make my nose angry.

My biggest problem with the mop is that it gets really soured out and nasty. I wring it out, but it still does this. I can pop the head off and put it in the clothes washing machine, but it's still pretty gross. I'd like a swiffer thing that just had like a microfiber reusable cloth on it so I could use my hippie cleaner and easily wash it each time, but I haven't seen such a product. I might look harder soon as there's a pretty high chance I'm going to move in a few months, and the place I'll be moving too has large areas of tile and hardwood floors as opposed to my few tiny squares of it in mostly carpet right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I use a mop essentially identical to the one pictured in the original post. I only have about  8 square meters of moppable floors in my house. I'd rather use the swiffer type thing. I'm not really worried about the makeup of commercial home cleaning products, but the smells bother my nose, so I clean almost everything except the shower and toilet with what I call my "hippie cleaner" - half vinegar and half water with a few drops of dish soap. I usually just pour a bit on the floor and mop it around. It takes a little more elbow grease, but it doesn't make my nose angry.

My biggest problem with the mop is that it gets really soured out and nasty. I wring it out, but it still does this. I can pop the head off and put it in the clothes washing machine, but it's still pretty gross. I'd like a swiffer thing that just had like a microfiber reusable cloth on it so I could use my hippie cleaner and easily wash it each time, but I haven't seen such a product. I might look harder soon as there's a pretty high chance I'm going to move in a few months, and the place I'll be moving too has large areas of tile and hardwood floors as opposed to my few tiny squares of it in mostly carpet right now.
@Lonelocust   The gross-ness of my mop is another reason why I want to replace it with something better.  I'm also looking for something that can use a microfiber cloth, in fact, I even tried putting one on my dry swiffer mop (like you do the dry cloths) but it didn't work very well.  The mop kept twisting or popping onto its side.  I think it isn't strong enough for a heavier and wet cloth.  So I'm still looking...