Do You Just Set Them Aside?

ajcurran94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cats for about a year and a half now. Since kittens. And I've noticed that at times they almost seemed depressed.

I work from home. So I'm constantly at my desk, which I recently replaced with a much larger one.

The cats would come and jump on my desk, wanting attention, but due to the size of it, they would get in front of the monitor and keyboard and basically make it so that I couldn't get anything done.

Sometimes I would give them the attention they wanted and they would go on their way but most of the time, looking back, I would set them aside. I would either simply shoo them off the desk and ignore them, or I would get up with them and move them to another surface that they could sit on somewhere else in the room.

But what kind of message is that sending them?

Are you telling them that you don't have time for them? That you don't want them... or maybe they take it as you saying "here, you go sit over here on this side of the room where nobody spends any time and you'll be out of sight and out of mind."

Since getting the bigger desk, there's an entire empty space that they can jump up to and it's within arms reach.

I haven't had to shoo them off the desk because they get in the way.

And I've noticed that they seem a lot less sad all the time now that they have a spot that isn't out of the way and barely used.

Could I be right about them actually getting depressed because they felt shut out as though they didn't have a place in my daily? All because of a spot on my desk, which is where I spend 90% of my time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A415F0B6-9038-4A9A-99E5-0CC49CE559FE.jpeg

I think it’s great that they have a place on your desk now. They are probably tickled by it too. I think cats look at the big picture rather than individual moments. Sure they may be mopey in the short term if you turn them away. But the big picture is that you still love them and still feed them and still find time for them at the end of your day (I hope!). They understand this much. I wouldn’t sweat the occasional snub. You can’t be there for them all the time.

That said, I always try to give Krista my full attention for at least a moment or two when she shows up. Like a “hey! I see you. Here’s a scratch and a chance to tell me whether you’re hungry or bored.”

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There's no doubt that my boy knows when I'm on the computer or phone, and he is sometimes resigned to it and sometimes he puts in quite a bit of effort to get my attention.

He is absolutely happiest in my lap (I don't have a desk) :)

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MAX HATES my cellphone. He sees me pick it up and has to between me and the phone. He actually looks at the screen so much that I put it on sites with fish which makes him happy! He will sit on it, so I can't find it. He paws at my hand when I'm talking, trying to get my attention. He also knocks it off the coffee table anytime I do not hide it in my purse. :creampersian:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats really do get depressed if you push them away all the time. Mingo certainly does, and Lily wails in distress. Now that you have that nice spot where they can be close but not in your face, they will realize you still love them.

Mingo climbs in my arms when I'm at the computer, and if I am only playing Solitaire with one hand, I hold him and pet him. He loves it, giving me head bumps and cheek rubs. My son also works from home, and he says his cat Mimi often wants to be held while he's working. She has a very loud purr and he worries that she can be heard on phone conferences. Nobody has asked what that funny motor is yet.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
If your desk is large enough and you don't have too many cats, perhaps you could try this solution. They are close by, but not in your way.

View attachment 270256
Seconding this, try a shoebox or a cheap cat bed from the dollar store. Maybe they just want to see you work? My cats love to sit beside/near me and either watch me play video games or while I movies. All they need is the occasional headrub and they are purring away and napping.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat (and dog) does seem to get depressed during finals time when I'm always pushing her out of my lap and I'm hardly sleeping so she doesn't get bedtime cuddles. I also forget about bedtime treats sometimes during that point in the semester because I'm not actively going to bed, so that seems to upset the furry ones as well. If it's not all the time I think they understand that they're still loved, the just don't understand why its only during certain parts of the day.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The latest in this home zoo of jealous felines...Max and MOUSE are apparently jealous of TIC, the Border Collie/Australian Sheperd mix, who sleeps next to me, ever since the weather got cold! So the two cats have taken upon themselves to each sleep under my arms, snuggled on my shoulders with paws either on my cheek or shoulder! And if I have to use the bathroom, too bad, so sad, they hog my pillow!!!!