Do Runts Usually Have Problems Having Kittens?

Lsheskey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, sorry but this is long. I just want to be understood and given helpful answers and not criticism or judgement.
Last year I took in 2 stray cats that were out on my friends grandmas farm. She said people drop always leave their unwanted cats out there and they usually die. I couldn't let that happen. Well, one is a boy and one is a girl. I know people like to lecture about getting them spayed and nutered, but I couldn't afford to but also couldn't leave them for dead.
Long story somewhat short, the girl khaleesi, ended up pregnant somehow even though I did my best to separate them when she was in heat. I'm assuming that she was the runt. She was very tiny last year and still isn't that big compared to the boy kitten, Milo, who is a big cat. Khaleesi delivered 2 stillborn kittens yesterday. They were very tiny and I'm not sure they were even fully developed. I mean they had all of their parts and even had whiskers but they had no fur and were very sticky feeling.
So I was wondering, do smaller cats or runts have more problems having kittens? She had a cold when I first got her but was able to get her to the vet and treated. I would have ended up getting them fixed but I lost my job and even though I am saving now to be able to do so, I still am curious to know if they usually have problems. If so I will probably keep the 2 separated all the time until I can get them fixed. I don't want her having complications and going through this again or something happening to her.
Also, I don't know the best ways to soothe her. She has not left my side since yesterday and falls asleep with my hand on her belly. She meows a lot and is really clingy which before was never her. I don't know if cats mourn like we would. She just sniffed the kittens and went back to eating the placenta. She didn't pay them any mind after that so idk if she's sad or if she's just overwhelmed with hormones. Again sorry for the long post but I just want everyone to understand the situation and that even though I haven't been able to afford getting them fixed that doesn't mean I don't love them or need them. They're my companion animals and help with my depression and they deserve all the love and care.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't answer your question about why some cats miscarry--I don't know. Outside cats can miscarry due to malnutrition, but I don't know if size in general matters. I do think that cats grieve the loss of other cats, including their kittens, and their hormones probably go out of whack for a while after a pregnancy.

Have you looked into finding a Humane Society or Animal Friends near you? Both offer low cost spay and neuter, thirty dollars or less, and that includes shots. Those clinics are much less expensive than private vets.

Thanks for taking care of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lsheskey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your in the US there are a lot of TNR programs that are cheap and sometimes free. Where are you located?
I'm in Ohio. Wow I just googled TNR ohio and quite a few different places came up for cheap or even free if you qualify! I had no clue these existed!!! Thank you so much! when I googled places nearby before, they were all clinics and places that were like 150 and up depending on the age and sex. Ive been stressing for no reason, that's a huge relief I really appreciate it!!!!

Lsheskey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could get the male neutered first. It only costs $65.
When I looked it up before I only found expensive places, but I just googled tnr places and found a bunch of programs that help that I had no clue existed. I probably should have dug deeper but I just assumed expensive places were it, because it cost 200+ for me to take her to the vet just to get cold medicine. Thank you guys for the info!

Lsheskey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't answer your question about why some cats miscarry--I don't know. Outside cats can miscarry due to malnutrition, but I don't know if size in general matters. I do think that cats grieve the loss of other cats, including their kittens, and their hormones probably go out of whack for a while after a pregnancy.

Have you looked into finding a Humane Society or Animal Friends near you? Both offer low cost spay and neuter, thirty dollars or less, and that includes shots. Those clinics are much less expensive than private vets.

Thanks for taking care of them.
I had no clue places like that existed or would help, so I appreciate the info you all gave me! I was just ranting to a friend about how places should help ppls pets and you shouldn't have to be rich to care for/own animals. I feel bad now lol. But glad the places exist!
Khaleesi is still by my side. But I've noticed blood spots all over where she's been sitting or laying and I'm worried. Will the vet hospital treat her if I don't have money up front? All my bills are due so I don't have extra but I don't want anything to happen to her so if you know of any places that will help and allow me to make payments please let me know! I'll look for the time being though, thank you!