Do feral cats get lonely without another cat around them?

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My semi-feral cat who I took care for 11 months was an indoor outdoor cat. Primarily outdoor. She always roamed around and whenever she saw a possum or raccoon she'd race to play with it. Also based on the cameras we had, she would have fun chasing other outdoor cats around and tried to play w pregnant cats as well (Which didnt turn out well all the time as they didnt want to play).

I wonder now if I should have gotten another cat with her as maybe she got bored of just having a human around. Has anyone who took care of a SOLO feral cat noticed this? If I get another cat, I plan on getting probably 2 kittens so they have a playmate to play with.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would work out great! Kittens are much more accepted in the hierarchy of your cat's household, and two males would be ideal. I can tell you from experience that females LOVE to boss the boys around. I have always said the perfect family is two boys and a female to enforce the rules. The fact that she demonstrated a willingness to socialize with others will most likely make the introductions easier. There still will be hissing and growling, so expect that, but I would bet in a month everyone will be fine. Keep them separated for a while and exchange scents so they get used to each other. Females resent other females moving in on their perfect world. They become little divas. Plus boys almost always become family and playmates sooner. That's not to mean it can't happen, but with all my cats, boys play together and the girls don't want to after they grow up. I wish you all the luck, and PLEASE keep us informed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would work out great! Kittens are much more accepted in the hierarchy of your cat's household, and two males would be ideal. I can tell you from experience that females LOVE to boss the boys around. I have always said the perfect family is two boys and a female to enforce the rules. The fact that she demonstrated a willingness to socialize with others will most likely make the introductions easier. There still will be hissing and growling, so expect that, but I would bet in a month everyone will be fine. Keep them separated for a while and exchange scents so they get used to each other. Females resent other females moving in on their perfect world. They become little divas. Plus boys almost always become family and playmates sooner. That's not to mean it can't happen, but with all my cats, boys play together and the girls don't want to after they grow up. I wish you all the luck, and PLEASE keep us informed!
Sorry I meant if I get another cat, it'd be 2 cats not just 1 (and not 3.. family wouldn't let that happen I dont think).

At most it'd be 2 kittens, and my family would probably prefer 1 cat only, but I worry after my last cat that it might get lonely especially as an indoor cat :(

If I can only get 2 kittens, would you recommend getting 1 boy 1 girl? 2 girls? 2 boys? It would be at the same time, and most likely probably 2 kittens/little cats from the same mother.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the misunderstanding! as I stated above, I would get two males. They play together and form a family unit much quicker. They also still play together when they are grown, much less so with two females who don't like to share.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the misunderstanding! as I stated above, I would get two males. They play together and form a family unit much quicker. They also still play together when they are grown, much less so with two females who don't like to share.
Hmm I see.. I loved my last kitten who was a girl

I might just get 1 little cat who might be a female in that case, but if I get 2 cats then I'll definitely look into getting 2 males.

I'm just worried if I get 1 cat she'll get lonely. My last cat seemed to always seek out other animals Im not sure still..

Jessieyvonne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering the same thing. I've been fostering a deaf feral cat for 4 months and she's up all night meowing. I think she's bored/lonely. Please let us know if you decide to get your cat a friend and how it goes. :)

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am wondering the same thing. I've been fostering a deaf feral cat for 4 months and she's up all night meowing. I think she's bored/lonely. Please let us know if you decide to get your cat a friend and how it goes. :)
I dont have a cat currently anymore but might get 2 or 1 little cats in the future if I can

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats are very social. I do feel that having two gives them company but also can be comforting during any event like moving, getting scared or even getting sick. My Whistle got sick as a kitten and Sister Banjo took care of him as though she was trained as a nurse! Lol She was awesome! Later on Banjo experienced something that left her scared and Whistle took care of her. It was such an amazing and loving thing to watch. Both are grown now and remain closely bonded. During vet check ups, they stick together. I have seen all kinds of loving matches of various ages , both genders and from different litters. If you adopt from a shelter, you may find a pair of best friend kitties that shelter workers are desperately hoping NOT to have to separate at adoption time. It would be very special if you could preserve a relationship that has already formed. That happens a lot. I have always tried to keep bonds intact when working with adoptions. Siblings, mother child, or just friends formed in a shelter environment. A vast choice is out there so maybe you could look around to find bonded kitties who will be a loving pair to add to your life. It’s great that you are considering this!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm of the opinion that 2 kittens are better than one, since they will play together and have another like them to be with and learn from. I feel one kitten may be lonesome. Actually 2 kittens may be less work since they keep each other busy and entertained.
It would also be great as Jcatbird Jcatbird said to have 2 kittens that have been together such as from the same litter or are in the same colony/room in a shelter. I volunteer at a shelter, it's currently kitten season, and they are grouped together in several pavilions, so they have playmates built in and I see them bond whether they are from the same litter or not.
I've experienced females that are quite friendly to another cat and same with males, and currently two of my females (I have 3 girls and a boy- and the boy bosses the youngest girl around) are getting to know each other and seem like they will be fine. But I know current advice is 2 females may not be the best pairing, but I wonder if it may depend more on the temperament of the cats.
Would love to hear what you decide!

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. My family is very against getting another kitten or two right now unfortunately w COVID/responsibilities and I guess the stress/trauma of our last cat's death.

Im hoping by Mid August we could possibly get it, but looks doubtful. The COVID situation I think is making everyone more stressed, and they think it'l be even more work getting 2 pets, but I think it could help w stress.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. My family is very against getting another kitten or two right now unfortunately w COVID/responsibilities and I guess the stress/trauma of our last cat's death.

Im hoping by Mid August we could possibly get it, but looks doubtful. The COVID situation I think is making everyone more stressed, and they think it'l be even more work getting 2 pets, but I think it could help w stress.
Well, it is what it is. For sure concentrate on coping with Covid, that is a first priority. Losing a beloved pet is hard and takes time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that many are dealing with a lot of stress right now. Maybe the timing will seem better to them a bit later. Just keep the lines of communication open and see what develops.