Do cats have weight fluctuations like we do?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my weight fluctuates like crazy depending on a lot of factors. If a cat has a controlled diet and is eating the same food for weeks can her weight fluctuate?

Kitty
8-22-22 13.4 lbs
8.28.22 13.6 lbs
9.6.22 13.6 lbs
9.11.22 13 lbs

I am using a regular human scale.

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know my weight fluctuates like crazy depending on a lot of factors. If a cat has a controlled diet and is eating the same food for weeks can her weight fluctuate?

Kitty
8-22-22 13.4 lbs
8.28.22 13.6 lbs
9.6.22 13.6 lbs
9.11.22 13 lbs

I am using a regular human scale.
Of course it can fluctuate . Depends on the energy spent, how many times it goes to litter box, how much and how fast is eating and etc . Our Mia’s weight is around 4.5 Kg - last week was 4.6, yesterday was 4.49 and so on . If him/she doesn t seem feeling bad or having changes in behaviour you don t need to worry. I don t know the lbs scale but it doesn t seem to be big differences .

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Human scales are notoriously inaccurate. I use a baby scale once a week. Same time and place. Sunday afternoon before her lunch, I grab about five pieces of kibble (the only time she gets kibble anymore) and place them on a towel on the scale. Once she starts on the kibble, I can lift her butt and reposition her entirely onto the scale. I don’t weigh her more than once a week for both of our sanity.

Betty’s weight doesn’t fluctuate much. But I also strictly control her intake. She doesn’t free feed and I weigh all portions that get plated and all plates I pick up. I can tell you nearly to the calorie how much she needs to maintain vs gain (or lose) weight.

If you weren’t intentionally feeding yours less and she hasn’t reduced how much she’s eating, I would keep an eye on that half pound weight loss. If it becomes one pound lost (12.5 lbs), I’d schedule a vet visit. That’s a significant enough fluctuation to at least make certain nothing else is going on.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only time our cats get weighed is when they go to the Vet, which means at least twice annually since they are seniors. But their weights do vary, and as noted above, that can simply be the difference between whether or not they peed or pooped prior to the visit. (or whether they had lunch prior to the visit or had to wait)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time our cats get weighed is when they go to the Vet, which means at least twice annually since they are seniors. But their weights do vary, and as noted above, that can simply be the difference between whether or not they peed or pooped prior to the visit. (or whether they had lunch prior to the visit or had to wait)
Exactly! And our cats are sometimes more hungry or active than others... their appetites vary quite a bit, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!