Do All "intact" Male Cats Spray? Does Pedigree/type Of Cat Matter?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people believe that it's not good to spay or neuter cats too early, especially the male, that it would permanently staunch their unique male features as they grow up. My concern is if I keep my male "intact" indoor only, will he begin to spray and act wild?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, an intact male is going to spray and want to go out in search of a female. Male cats can be neutered as young as a few months old with no negative effects and many positive ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The reason why I am asking is because my neighbor had a male Himalayan cat many years ago that was "intact" and never sprayed. He was raised with an "intact" female as well, and there were no hostilities or pregnancies among them.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
An intact female and an intact male with access to one another pretty much always results in kittens so perhaps there was something physically off with one of them. Unless you intend to breed your cats, spaying and neutering is necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male is almost 4 months (15 weeks).

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of intact males spray, and their bodies also have a distinct odor that transfers to their surroundings. Not every single male does, but there's really no way to predict those rare exceptions. I certainly wouldn't count on your cat being one.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people like to wait until their cats are 6 months old to get them neutered. I think that's fine as long as he isn't around any unspayed female cats and can't escape outside. By 6 months old, they are almost full grown, so I think that's a good age. My male cat only sprayed when he had a UTI.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Many intact males spray, and probably nearly all indoor ones do. As others have said, unless your male is pedigreed and part of a breeding program, you should have him neutered asap. The cost is very low, and he will be a much better pet.

Whilegenetics does matter (good luck finding a quiet Siamese, or a Persian who doesn't need brushing, for example), i have not heard of cat lines being bred for lower maintainance of intact male cats ( though, since breeders are the only ones who normally deal with unfixed males, it isn't impossible.)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some toms who don't spray. I wouldn't want to gamble on that though. And they all have very strong-smelling urine, even if it stays in the litterbox. Phew!

I can't imagine an intact male and an intact female being allowed free access to each other without pregnancy resulting, unless one or both are sterile.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are planning on getting a second kitten, right? Is it male or female?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember reading on this site about a cat owner who was pleasantly surprised when her indoor only male cat's urine no longer smelled after having him neutered.

So I think even if they don't spray the strong smelling urine would be a good enough reason to neuter a male.

I also think sooner is better because if he does start spraying it could be hard to break his habit after he was neutered.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember reading on this site about a cat owner who was pleasantly surprised when her indoor only male cat's urine no longer smelled after having him neutered.

So I think even if they don't spray the strong smelling urine would be a good enough reason to neuter a male.

I also think sooner is better because if he does start spraying it could be hard to break his habit after he was neutered.
You aren't kidding! In the past, I always had intact males and had a constant odor battle. The two I have now are both neutered, and it's so much better. I don't think I ever would want to keep an intact tom as a house pet. Their behavior is so much better, too.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you look at male lions in captivity, yeah, their big mane for example does disappear after neutering. Remember, these can be males that are fully grown and had all the time to develop their 'male characteristics'. So unless you want to keep the cat unneutered forever just for looks, there's really no point in waiting past the 6 month mark.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't want to live with an intact cat any longer than was absolutely necessary.

Granted, Toad isn't spayed yet, but that's temporary. ;)