DIY Cat toys for shelter kitties

capgal44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I am brand new to this site. I love to make cat toys for the shelter kitties at my local humane society. I just bought some fabric from the local fabric store and am not sure if i should wash it before sewing it. I use non toxic markers of course when cutting out patterns but i am not sure if i should wash the fabric before hand.

I appreciate any help you can give me and I'm very sorry if this question has already been asked, i couldn't find it.

Thanks again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capgal44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fair enough. I just wanted to start right away but I know its probably better for the shelter kitties if its clean

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you for making toys for the shelter kitties! I buy remnants to use to make toys and tote bags for craft shows. I ALWAYS wash before using it. You don't know what it has been exposed to.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
First, we're glad you're here! You're going to make a lot of friends. There's no flaming or ugliness allowed. We all support one another, too.

Most fabric has some sort of sizing when new. I'd wash it out so it's easier to work with and the shrinkage is taken care of. You can also see if it's going to ravel a lot, a hazard for cats. I don't know where you live, but Jo Ann's puts fat quarters and regular quarters on sale quite often, frequently as low as $0.78 or $0.99 each. Cotton duck makes very durable toys, too. One of our guys loves a 12" piece of fat pool noodle covered in cotton duck. He wraps around it and does his best to disembowel it. It's held up over 3 years. You can catch it on sale. A half-yard will make many, many toys.

Do tell us how you make your toys, and post photos, too. We'd love to see them!