Distended Belly In 9 Week Old Kitten

Astringer5511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently rescued a kitten that was very dehydrated and underweight. I immediately took him to our vet and he tested positive for roundworms and ear mites. This past Friday we went in for a recheck and all worms were dead but his belly was still pretty full and he has had pretty severe diarrhea...even going if you squeeze him just right when picking him up. The vet gave him Proviable (a probiotic for his food and a paste to help firm stools), as well as Metronidazole. We are on day three of that regime and I feel like his diarrhea is more runny and his belly more distended. I will follow up with my vet tomorrow morning but any ideas on what is still going on? I would have expected at least some improvement by now. I will also say that he is eating properly and active.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try Kitten milk replacer liquid, unflavored Pedialyte, kitten glop and goat milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try feeding wet cat food in addition to the dry. You can buy infant simethicone in the baby aisle and mix a few drops into the wet food for gas. This sounds like a dietary adjustment, but could be a bacterial infection in the intestines as well. Give the metronidazole more time, and ask the vet for Albon for the diarrhea too.