Dilute Urine/infection/kidney/behavior issues

Jig Smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First post here, hoping to find some insight!
My 7 year old boy recently started licking the hair off the base of his tail and licking genital area. After a few days I took him to my vet-who said it looked like a fungal thing and injected him with a steroid shot to stop the licking. A week later I took him back to the vet as the hair loss got worse and he was also licking his lower back (kidney/bladder area! He wanted to inject him with another steroid which I declined. (Not a big fan of the corticosteroids unless it’s absolutely necessary). One week later, not resolved so I tested the cat’s urine at home with a strip and it showed white blood cells+ diluted urine. I brought a sample in (strip test results confirmed) and we got him started on veraflox thinking it’s a UTI. One week of antibiotics and he’s still licking both areas, tail appears worse. I tested the urine at home tonight and it’s still showing WBC’s and dilute urine. Vet is concerned about kidneys. FWIW here is my boys intake:
2-3 tablespoons of water with his wet food 3 X per day…so I am under the impression that he is not over hydrated. He pees twice a day at the most(large clumps). We started adding water to wet food because his brother had a UTI+crystals a few years back and it became the best way to get water intake. He is an EXTREMELY rambunctious playful boy that requires his “exercise regime” nightly..seemingly very healthy and not overweight. No excessive drinking or urination or poisoning in 7 years that I am aware of. Huge appetite, no massive stressors, no lethargy, no dental problems…..

how worried should I be about the white blood cells/uti..vs kidney problems? The dilute urine thing is really throwing me for a loop and the vet is concerned about kidney issues (while he exhibits no symptoms of kidney issues). As he is, hair loss on tail is getting worse, he still licks and bites at kidney/bladder area, he still wants to eat a ton and play all evening, is still urinating 2x day, and seemingly 100 percent himself. I am at a loss about my boy. Vet wants to test bloodwhich will be stressful for him but it’s necessary. Anyone have any advice on water intake/kidney/stones/uti/ or any other suggestions of what this could be? For what water I am giving him it doesn’t seem like his urine should be dilute, and on the other hand if he has kidney problems he should be exhibiting Other symptoms I think. Could this be stones/crystals? Could he simply be “stressed” from the brutal winter we’ve had, causing the WBC’s and licking?

Other intake: 2 tablespoons dry food, frozen raw snack, a few dental dry food treats, salmon oil supplement 1X day with wet food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, and welcome!

My angel boy Poppycat had dilute urine for years without having his blood test numbers (kidneys) showing issues (realizing that every cat is different).

However, he didn't lick himself in any extreme amount, and I think you're right in assuming that there's something going on due to this, beyond allergies possibly? -
he still licks and bites at kidney/bladder area,
Do you have calming products?

Is his water filtered?

Could he be having an allergic reaction? Would you consider changing his food brand?

You might still want to consider getting him/them to consume more water. There might be something here;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite Articles

Vet wants to test bloodwhich will be stressful for him but it’s necessary.
Could you call a home-visit vet? Even if they don't have an assistant, it's possible to manage blood draws with your help.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat had dilute urine for years before her CKD diagnosis, or any other signs of the disease. So, I am not sure you can count on seeing specific issues related to CKD to suggest they would have to be occurring in order for your cat's urine to be dilute. Was there another reason for my cat's dilute urine? That I don't know.

You need an actual lab-performed urinalysis and a urine culture to determine all the elements of his urine - protein, wbc, blood, crystals, urine PH, in addition to the dilute urine - and for identifying the most appropriate antibiotic to eradicate any UTI, should bacteria be found. The wbc does suggest there might be an infection of some sort going on.

The bloodwork (CBC, Chemistry) would tell you other elements related to how his kidneys are functioning, along with a whole host of other items/organs as well.

I would start with the above tests and go from there, based on what is found.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jig Smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am still trying to figure out how to reply to each post on here, so my apologies!
He hasn’t been tested for allergies, but again he’s not showing signs of an allergic reaction unless it’s very very mild. Usually those reactions involve redness, swelling, and scanning I think? Since this started we have a feli-way diffuser to try to dampen this if it’s stress related. I have tried a different brand of food. We have always been a rotational thing with food brands (smalls, identity, ND, Stella and Chewy, for examples) to prevent some kind of food allergy. The vet prescribed him royal canin urinary s/o to eat for the time being. Their water is filtered. Would you concur that I am not giving them too much water? From all my research and from talking to vet, it would be difficult to give them too much water, and there would be more than 2 pees per cat per day if I were doing so. So I am stuck on the dilute urine thing!
From Feebys post it sounds like even if all other stuff in the urine checks out besides WBCs and dilutedness, the fact that it’s dilute could still indicate a kidney issue:/ I agree, another urine test+ culture, and blood test are my next steps. That is planned for a few days after he finishes antibiotics but I’m so scared about the kidney thing I wish it could be sooner. Unfortunately where I live there is not a single solitary mobile vet that does house calls.
Lastly-any thoughts on this just being stress related? I’ve read that WBCs can spike from stress, and the chewing hair could also be a coping thing. FWIW they haven’t seen grass or dirt or temps above 40 since early December-only snow-probably their hardest winter in 7 years (mine too!).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
it would be difficult to give them too much water,
I don't think they can get too much water--they'd stop drinking at some point and self-regulate, I believe. Poppycat drank tons of water from the time he came to us when he was about five years old, and made it to 17.5. He didn't have diagnosed kidney issues until about six months before he died, but the dilute urine was definitely a thing with him. It worried the vet, for sure.

Anyway, it could be stress. I'll be really interested to hear if the food change makes any difference. Do all these foods he's been getting, including the RC, have chicken?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lastly-any thoughts on this just being stress related?
That is another path that can be pursued if all checks out well on the bloodwork and urinalysis. You kind of have to rule out health/medical issues before you can head toward stress alone.

There are 'typical' signs for allergies, stress, and even health related issues, but they don't always apply to all cats. So, if he doesn't demonstrate the symptoms you think he should, it does not really tell you much of anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jig Smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All very good points. If you can’t tell, I’m running in all directions with this one because neither of my boys have ever had anything remotely like this..licking hair off:(.
all of the brands of food they’ve eaten over the years have had chicken varieties, but it’s never been exclusively the protein they eat. They have always enjoyed all poultry, beef, lamb, venison, rabbit, and fish very occasionally. Have always tried to rotate proteins along with brands. But the allergy thing can’t be ruled out yet. I will follow up with blood + urine culture results as hopefully that will shed some light on this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You're doing the very best by your cats, not all felines are as fortunate. Hang in there, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever this is it's easily managed/treated :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape:

sparkle801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First post here, hoping to find some insight!
My 7 year old boy recently started licking the hair off the base of his tail and licking genital area. After a few days I took him to my vet-who said it looked like a fungal thing and injected him with a steroid shot to stop the licking. A week later I took him back to the vet as the hair loss got worse and he was also licking his lower back (kidney/bladder area! He wanted to inject him with another steroid which I declined. (Not a big fan of the corticosteroids unless it’s absolutely necessary). One week later, not resolved so I tested the cat’s urine at home with a strip and it showed white blood cells+ diluted urine. I brought a sample in (strip test results confirmed) and we got him started on veraflox thinking it’s a UTI. One week of antibiotics and he’s still licking both areas, tail appears worse. I tested the urine at home tonight and it’s still showing WBC’s and dilute urine. Vet is concerned about kidneys. FWIW here is my boys intake:
2-3 tablespoons of water with his wet food 3 X per day…so I am under the impression that he is not over hydrated. He pees twice a day at the most(large clumps). We started adding water to wet food because his brother had a UTI+crystals a few years back and it became the best way to get water intake. He is an EXTREMELY rambunctious playful boy that requires his “exercise regime” nightly..seemingly very healthy and not overweight. No excessive drinking or urination or poisoning in 7 years that I am aware of. Huge appetite, no massive stressors, no lethargy, no dental problems…..

how worried should I be about the white blood cells/uti..vs kidney problems? The dilute urine thing is really throwing me for a loop and the vet is concerned about kidney issues (while he exhibits no symptoms of kidney issues). As he is, hair loss on tail is getting worse, he still licks and bites at kidney/bladder area, he still wants to eat a ton and play all evening, is still urinating 2x day, and seemingly 100 percent himself. I am at a loss about my boy. Vet wants to test bloodwhich will be stressful for him but it’s necessary. Anyone have any advice on water intake/kidney/stones/uti/ or any other suggestions of what this could be? For what water I am giving him it doesn’t seem like his urine should be dilute, and on the other hand if he has kidney problems he should be exhibiting Other symptoms I think. Could this be stones/crystals? Could he simply be “stressed” from the brutal winter we’ve had, causing the WBC’s and licking?

Other intake: 2 tablespoons dry food, frozen raw snack, a few dental dry food treats, salmon oil supplement 1X day with wet food.
I had a kitty that licked fur off her back by her tail till bald and found out she was allergic to fleas. I never saw fleas on her but the vet said it would only take one bite. So long ago I kind of forget what I did about it but think I rubbed a little flea powder back there as it is also good for mange.....not that she had mange, but thought it might stop the itching. Her hair grew back and not more licking.