Digital camera advice/forum?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for:

A) Some good websites/businesses for purchasing cameras that have great prices (and great customer-service if possible).

B) Some camera forums that I can go to asking for advice.

C) Some recommendations for a Digital SLR with at least 10 mp resolution, and quality optics. I'm looking for a camera that will last me a long time.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

How much are you looking to spend?

How many lens choices do you want?
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Well, if you go the Canon route (or maybe not), http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ is a great forum. It's mostly Canon users there, but they'll still answer questions.
My total budget with lenses, case, battery and digital card, is $1k. I know it's not much, but I'm hoping I can stretch it somehow. Technically, I can skip the telephoto lens. I probably won't be using it much (at first at least).

So, for how many lenses, I don't know. If I could get a regular and telephoto that would be great. I have no need for a wide angle lens though. Obviously part of the great thing with SLRs is that you can change the lens. I saw a package for a Canon Rebel & Regular lens + telephoto lens + carrying case + flash card + rechargeable battery w/ recharging unit. and 100 free prints at the Costco Photoshop for $799.99 I read that it isn't as good of a deal as it looks initially.

Maybe it would be best to do this in small bits and pieces? First decide on a camera and purchase..... then pick a regular lens and purchase..... then pick up a telescopic lens... purchase, on and on until I have what I want?

I don't really know what the best way to do this is.

I did all this research years ago when my father asked me to research and choose a digital for him to purchase for his own usage. I did. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything that I learned back then.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I fully intend on the Canon route. I love my film Canon SLR.... and will go digital as well... I'll be able to use the same lenses between the two cameras.

I'm alos getting into amateur filmmaking. I've looked at what's out there for digital video... and for what I want (even though i can't afford it), there are two Canon Digital Video cameras that sit at the top of my list. the 'cheap' cameras look like junk, and I can't afford the professional cameras... and I looked at the other names within the same $$ range as the Canons, and they don't compare. I get the features I want for a decent price.

I'm in insomniac mode... so I hope that all made sense.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried them out and preferred the Nikons, but a lot comes down to personal preference as well s the actual features.

http://www.comparedslrcameras.com/ht..._compared.html
That link has its own reviews of what it thinks are the best, as well as some links to other sites on their reviews

They are coming down in price so you should be able to get something decent for $1000 if you are willing to wait and add on new lenses etc later but I would get a regular lens when buying the body - telephoto lens etc you can wait for. I also find it useful to have two smaller cards rather than one bigger one. I was using my cmera one day and the card decided it wasnt formatted so it was great to have a backup

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a Canon Rebel XS this past November and love it! It's my first DSLR camera. I went with Canon because I'm also an amateur astronomer and the Canon Rebel is the most used camera in astrophotography. I've not had the opportunity to use it in that capacity yet but hopfully soon

I bought mine through Amazon.com. They have the 10 mp one for 499.00 right now http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digit.../dp/B001CBKJGG

and they have the 12.2 mp for around 559.00 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...8766985&sr=1-1

Both come with one lense for that price.

I bought extra batteries through ebay. I think for 2 of them it was 30.00 and they were genuine Canon batteries.

Good luck on your camera hunt!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Nikon girl also. That just comes down to preference. I started out with a Nikon and am used to it, Canons feel weird to me now. I have a Nikon D50, a 50mm 1.8 prime lens, and a 70-300mm zoom lens. Not much and not the greatest equipment, but it works for me for now, for my knowledge level. Getting good at photography is all about experience and knowing how to properly use your equipment, not just about buying the best stuff out there. Even someone with the most expensive equipment can take sh**** photos.

What type of photography do you plan to do? I prefer portrait photography, but I have a good friend that is great at landscape and college sports photography (mainly hockey and basketball).

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could talk forever, but I'll try to keep this brief.

Originally Posted by LawGuy

I'm looking for:

A) Some good websites/businesses for purchasing cameras that have great prices (and great customer-service if possible).
I'm in Canada, so can't help you there. But, I usually stay away from any large camera stores. I've found some great deals when the reputable camera stores sell on ebay (overstock, used etc). I have heard about these two websites in the US many times - but can't comment on prices etc:

Adorama
B&H

B) Some camera forums that I can go to asking for advice.
This website is a wealth of info on everything:
dpreview

Photography-on-the.net

Photo.net

C) Some recommendations for a Digital SLR with at least 10 mp resolution, and quality optics. I'm looking for a camera that will last me a long time.
I'm not going to tell you to purchase a Canon or a Nikon. The best, is to do some basic research on the internet, pick your top 2 or 3 cameras from your review and then go to the store to try them out. A camera may read great on paper but once you are handling the camera it may be a totally different story. You may want a Canon, for example, but once you handle it you may not like how the features are laid out or it does not fit in your hand properly.

I, personally, spend the money on the glass (lens) rather than on the body. The glass is where the satisfaction is.
Just like a computer, a camera body purchased today will seem ancient in features when compared from a year from now.......but the lens 'basically' will remain the same.

I can promise you that you will be keeping your lenses longer than you will keep the camera body. Also, be slow in investing in lenses so you take time to research and purchase the right ones.

Here are some camera comparisons/reviews -

Shutterbug

dcresource

That should get you started! Good luck and happy researching!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm. Ok.

If you had to pick one website forum to join for discussing cameras and photography, which one would it be?

As for waiting - I have no problem with that. I'd like to make a purchase by the end of this year. Or at least by say.... late September. Is that too aggressive, or do I need to be particularly patient on this.

Do you know of things that are coming out specifically?

One of the uses of this camera will be for insurance purposes too. Up north, I've been using my really old cheap Olympus 1.8 MP camera to document what I have for insurance purposes. The problem of course is that the resolution and image quality is awful. I want to take pictures so crisp and clear and perfect, that you can see not only that a piece of furniture was made of Pine.... but rather you can see the actual grain of the wood in detail.

That's what I'm looking for. Detail.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I can do that with my regular camera (a Fuji FinePix S2000HD) 10MP

There are lots of cameras between what you have now and a DSL that would be fine if you are using them for general use and documenting for insurance purposes
True. The reason I want a DSLR is that I also enjoy photography recreationally as well. I got so addicted to using my father's DSLR and how the large sensor can take in more light making for some spectacular images when its dark or darkish out.

So, really, I want to kill two birds with one stone (I hate that expression, it's so violent, lol). I want a new digital camera at some point to take better pics for insurance purposes, and that's the really important function it will serve, but if I'm going to buy a new digital camera, I might as well get one that I can enjoy too. Minnesota has some beautiful sights I've found and I could really have some fun with a little nature photography when I have free time here and there to relax.

There is no rush though. I don't need it tomorrow or anything like that. The idea of getting a DSLR of my own has been brewing in my mind for a few years now, ever since I started using my father's DSLR (I've used it enough that I actually know how to use it and navigate the menus/controls better than he does,
). I just finally decided that I'll take the dive. There's no set time to do it though. I'd like it to be within the year, but if there is some major breakthrough coming, or major price drop coming, I can wait longer too. It's not an essential item. Your point is valid about being able to use something less expensive for insurance photos.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a site called ClubSNAP. Their forum and sub-forum directory reminds me of TCS!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/index.php

I don't know anything about them --but they have a Newbies Corner (38 Viewing) The best place for those new to photography and ClubSNAP This makes me guess they have a friendly warm side?
I myself wouldnt join a photography forum unless they took the time to create a newbie-friendly section --I'm greener than green, that's why
:

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to think of myself as a "newbie", but I guess in actuality - I am..... I have some experience and have read a lot of photography tips and tricks in the course of using my father's DSLR, but yeah, I guess I'm a newbie to photography so maybe that forum would be worth checking out. I find forums are a great way for me to learn. I do better with learning when I can ask a million questions, than when I just read, say, a textbook.

Thanks. :-)

I've also been looking into building a little studio in a box for myself like this:

I'm thinking I can do it with some fabric and spring wire. I'd have to find somebody who is willing to lend me their sewing machine for a day, but I imagine that can be done.

It's what I would use for documenting via photograph some of my most valuable possessions for insurance and theft purposes. Particularly things like expensive watches, my coin collection, my firearm collection (particularly the museum quality antiques), some of my first edition books like a signed first edition copy of Mary Poppins, and some items given to me by the Prince's Foundation that have sentimental as well as monetary value as they cannot be replaced.