Difficulty eating/food falling out of mouth

YOJMBO1974

BRAD PALMER
Kitten
Purraise
my 13 year old short hair Lucky has been dealing with ongoing health issues. He's been treated for pancreatitis and worms but still seems to be losing weight. I have had blood work xrays and ultrasounds twice and nothing was found by my vet. Recently I've noticed he takes longer than usual to eat his food. It seems to just fall out of his mouth and he has to turn his head at an angle to try and chew it but it seems to still fall out of his mouth . He even makes the same chewing motion when not eating. He is starting to have the same problem with wet food as well. I have tried multiple types of wet and dry food to no avail.The vet has checked his mouth over thoroughly and didn't find any issues. She advised me my next step is to get a CT scan done. Unfortunately it is only offered at a 24 clinic that I had a bad experience with last time.so I am not sure what to do anymore. I know I have seen other posts with people having the same issues.Its been a long frustrating road for me and my pal Lucky. Anyone have a similar situation that they were able to resolve?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest a veterinary dentist to check the mouth thoroughly and take dental x rays. Many regular vets aren't very familiar with how to do a basic oral exam.

Try elevating the bowl to see if that helps your cat eat any better. You can water down pate cat food a little so it's more lickable to eat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of what area(s) were the ultrasounds taken? It does sound mouth/dental related. But, besides what was suggested above, if the ultrasounds were not of his head/throat/neck area, I would ask about that. He could have polyps anywhere in that area that are obstructing his breathing, and eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YOJMBO1974

BRAD PALMER
Kitten
Purraise
Of what area(s) were the ultrasounds taken? It does sound mouth/dental related. But, besides what was suggested above, if the ultrasounds were not of his head/throat/neck area, I would ask about that. He could have polyps anywhere in that area that are obstructing his breathing, and eating.
Sorry for the late reply. I just had xrays done of his head and neck area a couple of days ago. The vet did not find anything. She figures it's a neurological issue which unfortunately means there isn't much more that they can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YOJMBO1974

BRAD PALMER
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest a veterinary dentist to check the mouth thoroughly and take dental x rays. Many regular vets aren't very familiar with how to do a basic oral exam.

Try elevating the bowl to see if that helps your cat eat any better. You can water down pate cat food a little so it's more lickable to eat.
Just had xrays done of his head and neck and nothing was found. I have elevated food dishes for all my cats. I have been adding water so it's easier for him to eat but he still struggles every now and then. It's hard when you want to help your pets but are unable to find a solution .