Different color on odd-eyed kitten’s eye?

jellwastaken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so this is my kitten Hera and she’s turning 4 months in 3 days.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed there’s a brown spot on her right eye, at first I wasn’t so concerned because she doesn’t look bothered by it, and from what I know it’s common for odd-eyed cats to have different colors in one eye (sectoral heterochromia?)

But today I asked a vet and they recommended me to bring her in.
Her mom is going to be spayed shortly so I’m planning to bring them together, but in the meantime I’m wondering if anyone ever had similar experiences?

The first picture is from Sept 10, the second is from 16, and the last is from today. Thank you.

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be a broken capillary in her iris?
I noticed a couple of them in my senior cat a few years ago, when she was still with me. The vet dismissed it as a broken capillary, so typical in senior pets. I wonder if it can happen in very young pets too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not worry about it right now. It may go away, or she may end up with a dual-colored eye. Since she is so young, I would give it time. If she ends up as an adult with this, if it bothers her, you can have it looked at then.

Also, at 4 months old, their eyes are just turning the colors they will be as adults. I’d give her time before bringing her in, especially if her vision seems fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellwastaken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not worry about it right now. It may go away, or she may end up with a dual-colored eye. Since she is so young, I would give it time. If she ends up as an adult with this, if it bothers her, you can have it looked at then.

Also, at 4 months old, their eyes are just turning the colors they will be as adults. I’d give her time before bringing her in, especially if her vision seems fine.
Hi, yeah that’s also what I’ve been thinking too, aside from the change in her eye color she is her usual self. I might ask the vet directly later on her mother’s spay appointment because the message I sent to the clinic might have been answered by an assistant instead of the vet.

Also I saw this image on google when searching for sectoral heterochromia, not to self-diagnose but it looks similar to her eyes.

C8CF8F92-7901-4699-BE13-1C93B4594E09.jpeg

Thanks for the input!

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our rescue had a couple of litters of almost all white cats (they had just a few spots on their heads) that had one green eye and one very blue eye. Some of the litter mates had all blue eyes but most were one blue, one green. Some were short haired some long haired. All came from the same household. All healthy with no eye problems.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a kitten who grew up to have one blue and one green eye. Nothing was ever wrong and she could see just fine. She lived a long and contented life, and is gone now, but it’s just genetics - luck of the draw, so to speak.