Did We Accidentally Buy A Too Young Kitten?

Ledioba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope this is the right subforum to post this in. Sadly, neither me or my boyfriend has had much experience with kittens and their growth stages. We've both had cats growing up and all, but they were adult ones. I'm beginning to suspect that Milo, the supposedly 12 week old kitten we got roughly a week ago may have been younger than that. It's a problem primarily since it's illegal in my country to separate a kitten from its mother and sibling before 12 weeks. While we do have another cat to keep him company if it so happens he was removed early, the size difference between them is too large for them to be left alone yet.

I will attach some pictures of what he looked like a day or two after we got him. In my, admittably very inexperienced eyes, he looks to be somewhere in the 8-10 week range. I don't know malnutrition or something could have stunted his growth somehow. I asked the lady we bought him from what he was eating previously which was Whiskas kitten food (presumably dry) and what we call Välling. It's usually wheat or corn based, kind of a smooth drinkable gruel, and is usually fed to human babies. She said she gave him and his siblings this to take some pressure of the mother. Either way, I doubt that it's of any nutritional value to a kitten, so if he ate this in a disproportionate amounts could his development have been affected? I only saw one of his 4 siblings, but his sister was of similar size as well.

There is some more suspicious circumstances although they could be explained by other factors. For example; She sold the kittens for double the usual amount for a non-certified non-pedigree kitten (Your usual moggies, domestic longhairs etc), but that could simply be because he's half ragdoll and some people will hike up the price because of his parentage, even though he's still is and always will be a regular domestic cat by my country's standard.

View media item 420419View media item 420418View media item 420417
I don't know how well it shows in the pictures, but his eyes were pretty much grey and he has a very prominent little potbelly. I'm sorry for the bad pictures, but he simply did not want to stay still when I took the photos.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it’s illegal to get a kitten before 12 weeks. Usually it is if it’s under 6-8 weeks. But it’s more ideal for the kittens to stay up to 14-16 weeks with the mom.

Have you taken him to the vet for an exam, to be wormed and shots yet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the age you will manage knowing he is young. Give him food kitten food and do deworm him. Goats milk os a safe supplement even if not used in Sweden

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That little tail :happycat:

He does look younger then you were told. I've been there too. I was told Link was 8-9 weeks old and he was closer to 5 weeks when I got to see him in person. It's a whole soapbox rant about people who purposefully know the right age and choose to re-home too early. However, as the unwitting person believing what you were told and knowing if you say no because they are too young it won't change anything there really isn't much you can do.

At least in my area, there are laws about selling dogs too young but nothing about selling or rehoming cats at any specific age. Cat related laws are rare and vague usually.

Recognizing that he is younger gives him a leg up. What I did with Link was make sure I got a high quality wet kitten food and mixed it with some KMR to make a slurry. Easier for him to eat and higher nutrition. You can also mix with some goats milk if that is available in your area instead of kitten replacement milk. Do get him to a vet and dewormed, along with a general health check and schedule for vaccines.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the baby gruel "välling". Normally välling isnt no good food for cats. But there ARE special made types whom are great both for exhausted moms and growing kittens. For example the renown Anderssons Välling... with among others, added egg yolk and glucose sugar... Made on well boiled cow milk to break down the lactose. Made on goats milk its even better.

I mean, they perhaps had such a especial gruel "välling". :)

You are in Sweden? Such is good to know, easier to give advices on what is possible to get and buy.