Diarrhea In 2 Newly Adopted Cats

Marablackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all

My partner and I just adopted two cats from a rescue organisation that sadly didnt appear to be the best run organisation. (Over crowded, unclean litter, almost hoarder like)
We have been having problems with them having very foul smelling Diarrhea.
We took them to the vet after the first few days and the vets ruled out ring worm and gave us a 7 day course of antibotics.
We are two days off the antibotics and The smell is getting worse.
We have a vet visit booked at the end of the week but if I cant get it sorted soon my partner may make me take them back

Thanks for your help in advance

Mara

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the change of food that is giving them diarrhoea. It will take a little while for their tummies to settle. As far as the smell goes that could well be rhe antibiotics. Give it a little longer.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: A big thank you for adopting two cats. I'm sorry you are having health issues and thought this excellent Article that discusses common ailments in cats adopted from shelters would be helpful:
Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups (Note the section on diarrhea.)
Chronic diarrhea can lead to dehydration so please be aware of their water intake.

I'm glad you have another vet appointment later this week but you may want to call the vet now and let them know about the foul smell as well as give an update.
I hope your partner and you will try to get through this difficult time. You already took the first step by bringing the cats into a loving home and it is my sincere wish that the kitties will thrive in your care. Thank you for the lovely pics, what are their names?

Best of luck, please keep us posted on their progress. :alright:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marablackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be the change of food that is giving them diarrhoea. It will take a little while for their tummies to settle. As far as the smell goes that could well be rhe antibiotics. Give it a little longer.
We asked the rescue what food they were on when we got them so it hasnt actually been changed at all. Trying a new food this week thats of a better grade to see if it helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marablackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: A big thank you for adopting two cats. I'm sorry you are having health issues and thought this excellent Article that discusses common ailments in cats adopted from shelters would be helpful:
Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups (Note the section on diarrhea.)
Chronic diarrhea can lead to dehydration so please be aware of their water intake.

I'm glad you have another vet appointment later this week but you may want to call the vet now and let them know about the foul smell as well as give an update.
I hope your partner and you will try to get through this difficult time. You already took the first step by bringing the cats into a loving home and it is my sincere wish that the kitties will thrive in your care. Thank you for the lovely pics, what are their names?

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:
Will check out the article. We told the vet about the foul smell at the first visit and he didnt seem concerned just gave them antibotics and checked for worms.
I want to keep them its my partner thats a bit funny about smells so trying very hard to sort this so we can keep them.
The Tawny is called Origami and The black and White is Kilala

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The quality of the food can definitely make a difference, I agree, and stress can also cause diarrhea. It sounds like they were in a stressful environment, and even though your place is a thousand times better, it’s a change so they’re probably anxious...even if it may not show. Cats are very good at masking both illness and anxiety so it’s terrific that you’re getting them back to the vet. And it’s wonderful that you’ve rescued them!