Diarrhea - Almost all mucus?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simon was due for the second dose of his Drontal dewormer tablets last night, so I smashed it and mixed it in with a small amount of food, just like last time. He had NO issues the first time, so I didn't really expect any issues this time either. This was at about midnight.

At about 5 AM, he got a bit restless, but I didn't think anything of it as that's when he tends to start waking up for the day. At 6:15, he went to the bathroom and passed stool, but it was mostly mucus (which I don't think I've ever seen a cat poo mostly mucus before). He went again just now and it was probably about 99% gel-like mucus. He keeps going back and forth to the litterbox, so I'll likely keep him confined to the crate to minimize any cleanup. I'd call his vet, but the vets are out of office until Monday, and the emergency vet here is......not great. He's meowing like crazy, but I can't tell if it's because he's hungry, he doesn't feel good, or if he just REALLY hates the crate (which is the likeliest option tbh)

Could this just be a reaction to the drontal that we need to wait out? Should I go ahead and feed him anyway - or should I give his belly a chance to rest?

Edit: I did end up feeding him and he scarfed it right down, so clearly not nauseous (which is a good thing, I guess).

Another Edit: Aaaand after trip to the litterbox, he ended up throwing up most of what he had eaten, mostly undigested. If this IS a reaction to the drontal, that will be yet another drug added to his "never again" list of meds

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update: I got nervous and called the emergency vet (who has no business calling themselves 24-hour emergency care when they're only open 12 hours on weekdays, and don't open until noon on Saturdays), got redirected to their non-emergency offices. The tech said that vomitting and/or diarrhea are NOT something one would see with Drontal, which is a load of garbage when a 5 second google search shows that they are both listed as potential (albeit somewhat rare) side effects.

I did get Simon to play with his "worm" (string on a stick) toy for a little bit, and outside of the liquid stool, he's acting fine.

I just wish I knew if this was something that's going to require a trip to the emergency vet - or if I can relax and know that he will at least be okay until his regular vet is back on Monday.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is it possible he ate something out of the ordinary that could be affecting his digestive system? Another thing to consider is that the mucus could be indicative of constipation - as well as the vomiting. What color is the mucus - if it has any sort of greenish tint to it that could be bile and probably should be considered an emergency.

You could try feeding him some boiled chicken, which would be relatively easy on his stomach to see if he can hold it down. If he throws up again, and continues to have nothing but mucus for his poops, I am not sure it would be wise to wait until Monday. If he can hold some food down, and remains acting fine, then you might be able to wait.

While it is possible the Drontal could have caused this, the likelihood is less since he had no reaction the first time, especially since those side effects are relatively rare.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think he would've ate anything, as I generally keep everything out of his reach. I didn't notice any greenish tint thankfully, though I will keep an eye out.

He played a bit more, ate a spoonful of wet food (that he has kept down so far; I'll give another in a little bit), caught him drinking from his water fountain, hasn't had any more episodes of diarrhea, and FINALLY settled down and is currently taking a nap on the bed. I'm going to be taking a shower in a little bit, which means he'll be going back into the crate, so I guess we'll see if he has anymore incidents of the mucus/throwing up.

If it keeps up or gets worse, we'll have to revisit the emergency vet idea (We're trying to avoid this; We both had our first covid shots yesterday and are feeling it today) - but I'm really hoping that this is just his sensitive digestive system spazzing out over the med, rather than something more serious.