Diaphragmatic Hernia in Kitten

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My nine-month old rescue, Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate, was hit by a car two months ago and wound up on my sidewalk, which is how I ended up with him. At the time, he had a broken jaw and head trauma and was in such bad shape the vets didn't think he would make it. I was told of the possibility of a diaphragmatic hernia then. If they discovered one, it was recommended that he be euthanized given the state he was in at the time. .I want to add that my vet clinic does not take euthanasia lightly. Although there were shadows on the x-ray, a hernia could not be seen due to fluids and they were thought to be possible contusions. Yesterday, I took him back to the vet for a check because his rapid breathing had not abated and though he was eating 3 5.5 oz. cans of food, he was still hungry but didn't look like he was gaining much, and he wasn't. He'd gained less than a pound in two months. The vet took another x-ray and the hernia showed. This is a watch-and-see thing right now. He's eating a lot because he is expending his calories on breathing. He's on an extra can of wet food in order to help him make up calories. He has difficult with dry food due to his jaw. Has anyone had a cat with this problem? Any advice?.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town so choices are limited.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear Lord Chesterfield had to go through all of that! But am happy you rescued him and are taking such good care of him ( I bet he is as well. ❤)
I know surgery is typically best for that type of hernia, but if that is not available right now or not pheasible, what about discussing metaclopramide? It helps specific types of hernias to heal themselves when surgery is not an option. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial in this situation, but it may be worth discussing with the vet to get their thoughts.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate is an absolute cutie and I love the name!!! ❤

I was told of the possibility of a diaphragmatic hernia then. If they discovered one, it was recommended that he be euthanized given the state he was in at the time.
Euthanasia isnt on the table anymore right? He is doing much better and could definitely handle having surgery to repair the hernia now way better than when the accident happened.

Do you know if there is a place for him to have the surgery in the next town or state over?
For example, where I live there is only one vet in my area.. I go to the next state over for my baby girls vet. Yes it is almost an hour away, but it's a much better veterinary office than the one that is 5 to 10 minutes from my house.
Would this be an option for you? It may be worth looking into.

Do you know how bad his hernia is yet? I know hernias can be bad and sometimes things can be squeezed so much for so long that it causes bigger, irreversible damage.
If the cost is an issue can you talk to them about a payment plan, ask friends/family for help, put off paying a bill by calling and asking for a payment extension date?
I have had to pay a bill late to get emergency medical help before and they also worked with a payment plan with me.

I thank you for taking Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate in and helping him through the healing process. He has come a long way.

Please keep us posted

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate is an absolute cutie and I love the name!!! ❤

Euthanasia isnt on the table anymore right? He is doing much better and could definitely handle having surgery to repair the hernia now way better than when the accident happened.

Do you know if there is a place for him to have the surgery in the next town or state over?
For example, where I live there is only one vet in my area.. I go to the next state over for my baby girls vet. Yes it is almost an hour away, but it's a much better veterinary office than the one that is 5 to 10 minutes from my house.
Would this be an option for you? It may be worth looking into.

Do you know how bad his hernia is yet? I know hernias can be bad and sometimes things can be squeezed so much for so long that it causes bigger, irreversible damage.
If the cost is an issue can you talk to them about a payment plan, ask friends/family for help, put off paying a bill by calling and asking for a payment extension date?
I have had to pay a bill late to get emergency medical help before and they also worked with a payment plan with me.

I thank you for taking Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate in and helping him through the healing process. He has come a long way.

Please keep us posted
Euthanasia isn't on the table now, and I'm glad. I had to have my FIV+ cat I'd had for five years inside euthanized in April - he was very ill and would not recover and he was clearly dying. I had to have a geriatric carport kitty (15) for whom I've cared for seven years after she was abandoned along with her mother (17) euthanized last Friday due to injuries sustained in some sort of fight or attack. I don't want to go through another with this one.

Euthanasia was discussed after the accident due to how bad the injuries were and if this was seen then, they probably would have done so. The kitten was at the vet clinic for a week and pulled through, surprising everyone. This may be a congenital hernia and it was exacerbated by the accident. I have the money to pay for some of this and they could most likely do the surgery, but it wasn't advised. I believe they don't think he will make it. He's also not my only cat. I have, with him, five inside and now just the one outside.

Thanks. He's a really cute kitten and I couldn't believe I ended up with him.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you have had it so rough first your kitty in April and then Friday.. I know it is hard. I'm so glad that Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate pulled through after the accident. For his sake but for you as well.

So if they are advising against surgery to repair his hernia I'm assuming it isn't "strangling" (cutting off the blood supply) to any of his organs?

Do you know how severe his hernia is?
It seems like it may not be too bad if they don't feel the need for surgery for now even if they were thinking he wouldn't make it. If it were severe they would more than likely go through with the surgery not having any other options.

Do your other kitties get along with him?
I love how you have a big kitty family!!! I still can't get over how stinkin cute he is... such a beautiful baby boy!!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you have had it so rough first your kitty in April and then Friday.. I know it is hard. I'm so glad that Lord Chesterfield of Chocolate pulled through after the accident. For his sake but for you as well.

So if they are advising against surgery to repair his hernia I'm assuming it isn't "strangling" (cutting off the blood supply) to any of his organs?

Do you know how severe his hernia is?
It seems like it may not be too bad if they don't feel the need for surgery for now even if they were thinking he wouldn't make it. If it were severe they would more than likely go through with the surgery not having any other options.

Do your other kitties get along with him?
I love how you have a big kitty family!!! I still can't get over how stinkin cute he is... such a beautiful baby boy!!
[/QUOTE

I have two Siamese mixes (foster fails) and brothers who are about 15 months old (one is my profile picture) and senior cats in the 11-14 range. No, the lone female in the house (14) is tormented by one of the Siamese and my gray cat 11. She has litter box issues now that Chesterfield is with us. The young ones run around the house and play together. The other ones sleep.

The vet showed me both x-rays from the accident and yesterday. It's more the organs are smushing up against his lungs in the recent picture. Nothing is being strangled, so that is good. If it were severe and they didn't think he was going to make it, I wouldn't put him through the surgery.. The post-op is lengthy for this. My house is pretty open concept with even the bathroom doors being sliding ones cats can open so there really wouldn't be a secure place for him to recover except a cage.

I didn't plan on this many cats. I've lived here 10 years and surprisingly my neighborhood has a lot of cats. I have TNR a couple, found homes for some, and ended up with several. My other FIV+ died in 2021. Fortunately, there are several people in my neighborhood who rescue and we have a no-kill shelter here (always full) and a couple of non-profit rescues who help out and get cats (and dogs) adopted at PetSmart.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have an absolute wonderful fur family!!!

I can agree with you that if I had a kitty that needed any kind of surgery and without it they wouldn't survive and with it the chances aren't good. I wouldn't put my fur babies through surgery.

So are you guys going to have to monitor Chesrerfield (through ultrasounds and xrays) to make sure the hernia doesn't get worse or,do you have things that you need to watch for? Like his breathing (since they are pushed against his lungs)
I am glad that nothing has been cut off from the blood supply. That is really good. Just sucks he has to deal with any of this at all. Poor sweet boy.

At least he has a nice size fur family and you in his life to love and comfort him.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have an absolute wonderful fur family!!!

I can agree with you that if I had a kitty that needed any kind of surgery and without it they wouldn't survive and with it the chances aren't good. I wouldn't put my fur babies through surgery.

So are you guys going to have to monitor Chesrerfield (through ultrasounds and xrays) to make sure the hernia doesn't get worse or,do you have things that you need to watch for? Like his breathing (since they are pushed against his lungs)
I am glad that nothing has been cut off from the blood supply. That is really good. Just sucks he has to deal with any of this at all. Poor sweet boy.

At least he has a nice size fur family and you in his life to love and comfort him.
I watch his breathing and for any signs of lethargy. He behaves like any other kitten...running and playing, getting into mischief, but he eats about twice as much. He tires a bit easier and does not like to be picked up.