Diagnosis: Hyperthyroidism, Some Questions

carbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat, male, approx 9 years old, was eating like a glutton but was losing weight. Much to his chagrin off to the vet we went. Blood work and urinalysis came back good, except his thyroid was working overtime. Doc laid out our options and we went with the methimazole. He's been on it for about two and a half weeks now, 2.5mg twice daily. Pill Pockets have been ideal and he hasn't suspected he's being medicated and hasn't missed a dose. His coat is looking more like it always did and he looks as if he's put on a pound or so. All seemed well until a few days ago when I noticed he was scratching himself quite a bit, around his ears, face, and neck. I checked for the usual culprits, fleas and mites, (as did the vet when I first brought him in), so I don't think parasites are the issue.
I'm reading that in rare cases some cats can be allergic to methimazole, one of the symptoms being excessive itching and scratching. My thinking, and hope, is that an allergic reaction would have surfaced sooner than after two and a half weeks. Of course, I could be wrong about this.
Has anyone seen something similar with their cat? Appreciate any input. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have read many cases where the side effects you are seeing can happen, but often occur because the dosage was too high to start with. Even when a cat's T-4 is very high, a lower dose is used just so a cat's body can adapt to the new med, and then increased gradually as appropriate.

You need to consult with your vet, who - I would guess - will advise you to have your cat's thyroid level checked again to see where it is at now. And they might advise you to either temporarily stop the med (to resume later once you cat has had a break from them) or lower the dose to see if that stops the symptoms your cat is experiencing.