Diabetic cat

souris-7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m new to this blog so I’m not sure if this is where I should ask that question but, my cat is diabetic and has been diagnosed about three years ago. He’s always had a very high blood sugar despite us giving him a lot of insulin (up to 16 units a day). This summer, we started on a new type of insulin and he was visibly getting better but nowadays he doesn’t seem very well (not eating a lot, seemingly more tired...). He’s being monitored by his vet but we noticed that when it comes to his tests at home, his blood sugar always raises by a lot right after we give him his insulin. Of course, he eats around the same time we give him his medication, but could it be that the insulin makes his body react in the opposite way?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

Do you belong to this group? And yes, I agree that this is quite technical, as diabetes is technical in itself, and your vet has to be on board with your concerns.
:yeah:

Definitely join the FDMB board for more experienced help. Diabetes isn't discussed often or in great in depth detail here on TCS. You're still welcome to be a member of this board and ask about general cat issues and share pictures of your cat :wave3:

What is the name of the current insulin? 16 units is a HUGE dose. What are you feeding the cat? Dry food will keep blood glucose levels way too high which means a larger than typical dose for most cats.

There are two condition that can cause a huge insulin need in diabetic cats, Cushing's disease and acromegaly. A vet could test for those.