Diabetic cat, how much to feed??

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a 7.29 lb cat with diabetes. Hes only a year old. When I picked him up, they told me to feed him half a can a day, 1/4 can 2x, the Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets DM. So half is only 81 calories, and he is NOT overweight. To me he is actually a tad underweight. I can feel his spin when i pet him. I would rate him as 4.5 with 5 being perfect and 10 being overweight. I ignored what they said and feed him 1 can a day so thats 163 calories. I still feel he can eat a little more, maybe up his calorie intake to 180 calories. He has an appt on Tuesday at the shelter clinic, I'm gonna ask if this is ok. I just want to get your guys opinions. Should he be eating more? I feel like I'm nott feeding him enough

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Who is the "they" who told you to only feed him 1/2 can per day? A Vet? This doesn't seem like nearly enough food for a young cat. I presume that at only one year of age, he's pretty active, so don't know how he could possibly have any reserves at all on only 81 calories per day. As you say, even 180 doesn't sound extreme (calorie wise). I am just not at all familiar with that particular prescription food. I've always heard for diabetic cats just not to feed them any food with many carbs in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A medical staff. That same person told me 1 shot of insulin a day but his bag that the insulin came in says 2x a day. Finally got a voice mail from them they confirmed 2x a day. But I don't trust anything they say. Feels like they don't know what they're doing. He gets 1 unit a shot. Kinda scared to give another dose tonight since i don't know who to believe. I've only had him for 3 days, each day he becomes more active but still not a whole lot. He's 13 months. I feel he should weight 8.5 to 9.5 lbs.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens . For this food on the ProPlan website, it recommends 1 1/4 cans for an 8-lb. cat. In my experience, commercial pet food manufacturers tend to recommend feeding more food than cats typically should eat, but in this case, it looks accurate. One can is 163 calories as you say, and for a one-year-old, that seems like a minimum in my opinion. But I’d definitely want to hear from a vet.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A medical staff. That same person told me 1 shot of insulin a day but his bag that the insulin came in says 2x a day. Finally got a voice mail from them they confirmed 2x a day. But I don't trust anything they say. Feels like they don't know what they're doing. He gets 1 unit a shot. Kinda scared to give another dose tonight since i don't know who to believe. I've only had him for 3 days, each day he becomes more active but still not a whole lot. He's 13 months. I feel he should weight 8.5 to 9.5 lbs.
That’s a tough one. Without knowing his blood glucose level (I assume they didn’t send you home with a blood glucose meter), it’s difficult to say how much insulin he should get. Did they describe hypoglycemia and how to handle it if it were to happen?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No they did not mention that. Nor gave me a meter. I did end up giving him the 2nd dose almost an hour ago

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is young for a diabetic cat. Personally I would be monitoring his glucose if I was giving insulin.
There are ways to see if his glucose is to high. Signs would be drinking allot, urinating allot ( PU/PD).
I would get a glucose monitor and check before each meal, before the insulin injection. Also only give insulin after he eats. This situation is a bit sketchy to be in. what kind of insulin?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll get more diabetes care and tips on the FelineDiabetes.com message board

Unregulated diabetic cats are literally starving so at least at first you feed them as much as they want. A few small meals daily works best for most diabetic cats.

Blindly giving insulin is dangerous. Without know what the blood glucose level is, a full dose of insulin can severely drop blood glucose levels within a few hours resulting in hypoglycemia. What insulin are you giving and how much insulin daily?

Juvenile diabetes is pretty rare. I'd double check with the vet on that diagnosis. A frucotsamine test is what determine diabetes along with symptoms.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is on Lantus. 1 unit 2x daily. I will ask about a meter at his appt on Tuesday. I do wait until after meal before injection.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!
I am now currently feeding him 288 calories a day.. And hes still always hungry! He's gained about a pound. Which is better cause he did look a tad underweight. Him always hungry, is that just normal for a diabetic? Or can it mean his levels are too low or too high? He acts normal, playful, cuddly, purring.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you checking his blood glucose levels at home? Is he still on insulin? What is he eating?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still on insulin. 1 unit 2x day. On hills prescription dry and wet. Shelter did not give me a kit. Gets feed 3 meals.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you can cut out the dry food, that would be best. As long as he eats enough of the canned, of course. You never want a cat to stop eating or you risk them getting liver disease.

Dry cat food is high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are a major contributing factor in feline diabetes. It doesn't matter if the packaging on the dry food states it is grain free. That is a marketing ploy. The food can be grain free, but then it has other sources of carbohydrates in it, such as peas, potatoes, chick beans. All of which are very high in carbohydrates. Check the ingredient list on your dry food. You will also notice that the carbohydrate level is never mentioned on a bag of food. You have to write the manufacturer to get that information.
The site Catinfo.org has done some of the work and many of the dry food carbohydrate levels listed.

We have been able to get many cats into full remission from diabetes with Lantus Glargine insulin, home monitoring of glucose levels, the proper diet, a scheduled feeding time and amount that doesn't waiver and cutting all carbohydrates from their diet.

You can purchase a human glucometer from any drug store, or Walmart. It is more accurate to use a Veterinary glucometer because the human ones can read cats a little lower, but still, blood is blood. The Veterinary Glucometers are expensive. The Relion from Walmart is cheap and it will give you a fairly accurate result within 20. That is the only way you can know what his blood glucose is.

It is easy to get a blood sample from a small vein on the inside of the ear flap, near the edge of the ear. I put a tiny dot of Vaseline on the ear. (It helps the blood bead up and not get stuck in the fur). I take a small pen light and shine it behind the ear so I can easily see the vein. I take an insulin syringe with needle and gently nick the ear where the vein is, on the outer rim. I take my Glucometer, which I have already put the strip in, so it is ready to go. I hold the strip up to the drop of blood that has formed on the inside of the ear and in a few seconds I know what the blood glucose level is.

Starting out with a newly diagnosed diabetic cat I check the glucose in the morning before feeding and before giving insulin. I record my reading, feed the cat and make sure they eat. Then I give the insulin dose. I do the same thing in the evening. I do that for the first couple of weeks at least.

1625305746324.png
1625305746324.png
1625305746324.png
1625305746324.png
1625305746324.png

1625305746324.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still on insulin. 1 unit 2x day. On hills prescription dry and wet. Shelter did not give me a kit. Gets feed 3 meals.

Just go to any Human pharmacy or online pharmacy and buy a blood glucose test kit and extra matching test strips and lancets. You don't need a pet specific meter. I personally like the AccuChek Aviva but I don't think that particular meter is still being made but test strips are still available.

Have you joined the FelineDiabetes. message board (link above in a previous post) to get more help and advice?

I assume the shelter is providing the Hills food and there is probably something in your agreement to foster that you must feed only the food that is provided. Prescription food really isn't needed at all but you may not have a choice because this is a foster cat and not your own cat.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the shelter clinic to pick up some foster kittens and asked, they said hunger is normal. anyways he does have a check up this tuesday. I had asked earlier thi week about feeding him fancy feast, they said no😣 might have to return him. maybe he can go to someone with more experience. people at home are always leaving food out which he later finds. btw, not me! I cleanup after myself. so it'll be safer for him aswell, not getting into human foods. i do my best to keep an eye on him. and lock him in my room when im not home so hes not out hunting for food. i have read posts on feline diabetes, i havent joined yet though.some really good info on there

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:alright::grouphug:

A well regulated diabetic cat shouldn't be constantly hungry. The insulin and / or dose probably isn't right for your foster. The Hills food isn't helping either.

Don't feel bad if you have to give the foster back to the shelter. Hopefully he'll find a a foster home where someone has more experience managing diabetes, or even better, a permanent home.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it a no kill shelter? It would be very hard to regulate a cat in foster care or at the shelter due to stress. Poor cat.