Diabetes or Kidneys????

Grayce e's m9m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about 12yrs ( she was a stray and vet estimated her age.) She has been drinking lots of water lately and just wants to sleep. She does pee alot. She constantly wants to be with me.
She eats wet (with gravy) & dry food daily. I need some feed back before I spend $1million at vet with all kinds of tests. Anyone else ever have a cat with these symptoms???? I would love to hear your experience. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is she losing weight? You need to have blood work done if you have not already - CBC, Super Chem panel, and thyroid check, as well as a urinalysis. Those tests will pick up some indicators of issues that might tie to what you are seeing - like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and/or kidney issues, among other possibilities. Once you know the results of those, you can see what else the vet may want to do, but those tests - which I realize unto themselves are not 'cheap' - are your best bet to start off with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grayce e's m9m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Is she losing weight? You need to have blood work done if you have not already - CBC, Super Chem panel, and thyroid check, as well as a urinalysis. Those tests will pick up some indicators of issues that might tie to what you are seeing - like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and/or kidney issues, among other possibilities. Once you know the results of those, you can see what else the vet may want to do, but those tests - which I realize unto themselves are not 'cheap' - are your best bet to start off with.
Thanks. The thought of this being something serious kills me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nothing can be ruled out, of course. But diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and even kidney disease are treatable. At 12 yo, your girl really should have the tests I mentioned just as a basis going forward if for no other reason. She is at the age that knowing what her blood work looks like now - and then getting it done at least once a year from now on out, will only make it easier to find issues that are brewing and therefore allow them to be treated sooner rather than later.

Feeby is 17+ yo with 2 of the 3 conditions noted above, and we are still keeping her going!! Don't assume the worst!!

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not to be a wet blanket, but Grayce e's m9m Grayce e's m9m , you should know that if it's kidney disease, there is no cure, unless you opt for a kidney transplant, if that is feasible for your cat. I've had three kidney cats, and it's an up and down cycle once it starts. BUT it's also not always an immediate death sentence. All of my cats lived another three years after diagnosis, and by the time they were diagnosed, they were already losing their appetites, losing muscle mass, along with drinking and peeing TONS. I just want you to be prepared in case that's the issue.

As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner stated, it could be one of the three biggies she listed, but one of my current cats started drinking a lot and his fur was unkempt and he just wasn't himself and I was so afraid we were in for another kidney cat when it turned out all he had was a ferocious UTI. 30 days of antibiotics and it was gone and he was back to his usual self.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the urine smell sugary? Is it super sticky and hard to cleanly scoop out of the litter box? That is a pretty good indicator of diabetes because the urine is full of sugar. The vet will have to make the diagnose. Besides the regular blood work a senior cat should have done, ask for the fructosamine test. That is similar to the AC1 test for Human diabetics and will pretty much give the vet a definitive diagnosis.

Schedule an appointment now as most vets are booked solid for weeks currently. See if there is a waiting list you can be on if an earlier appointment is available.

If your cat does have diabetes, the easiest thing to do before starting insulin is to change the food from the gravy food and dry to low carb canned food only. Sometimes a simple diet change is enough to lower blood glucose levels to a healthier range. Here are some low carb Fancy Feast varieties: Wheat gluten free, low carbohydrate Wet Food There are other brands. You may want to check out Links to FOOD CHARTS | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB Your vet may insist on prescription food but you don't need it. Prescription foods are full of junk ingredients that have no magical quality to help the diabetes, no different from a really cheap brand of dry food. It's ok to disagree with the vet on food.

Grayce e's m9m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not to be a wet blanket, but Grayce e's m9m Grayce e's m9m , you should know that if it's kidney disease, there is no cure, unless you opt for a kidney transplant, if that is feasible for your cat. I've had three kidney cats, and it's an up and down cycle once it starts. BUT it's also not always an immediate death sentence. All of my cats lived another three years after diagnosis, and by the time they were diagnosed, they were already losing their appetites, losing muscle mass, along with drinking and peeing TONS. I just want you to be prepared in case that's the issue.

As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner stated, it could be one of the three biggies she listed, but one of my current cats started drinking a lot and his fur was unkempt and he just wasn't himself and I was so afraid we were in for another kidney cat when it turned out all he had was a ferocious UTI. 30 days of antibiotics and it was gone and he was back to his usual self.
Hope Grayce's isn't kidney. I already had a cat with it, I brought home IV to hydrate her everyday. I just prolonged the situation.

Grayce e's m9m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does the urine smell sugary? Is it super sticky and hard to cleanly scoop out of the litter box? That is a pretty good indicator of diabetes because the urine is full of sugar. The vet will have to make the diagnose. Besides the regular blood work a senior cat should have done, ask for the fructosamine test. That is similar to the AC1 test for Human diabetics and will pretty much give the vet a definitive diagnosis.

Schedule an appointment now as most vets are booked solid for weeks currently. See if there is a waiting list you can be on if an earlier appointment is available.

If your cat does have diabetes, the easiest thing to do before starting insulin is to change the food from the gravy food and dry to low carb canned food only. Sometimes a simple diet change is enough to lower blood glucose levels to a healthier range. Here are some low carb Fancy Feast varieties: Wheat gluten free, low carbohydrate Wet Food There are other brands. You may want to check out Links to FOOD CHARTS | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB Your vet may insist on prescription food but you don't need it. Prescription foods are full of junk ingredients that have no magical quality to help the diabetes, no different from a really cheap brand of dry food. It's ok to disagree with the vet on food.
With the shortages of cat food I bought huge amounts of can gravy foods and huge bags of dry. Now I pray there is a supply of what I need.

Grayce e's m9m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Her urine smells very strong considering how much she drinks. Maybe UTI. Calling VET today for home visit asap. I stay away from pres. foods, if I can help it. Very expensive.