Deworming a recently spayed cat

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I was thinking of getting a cat (approx 2 years old) spayed next week on Monday October 11. Thing is, I recently started deworming her myself with over-the-counter dewormer (Pyrantel emabonate). I wasn't around when she was still a kitten because I was off in college and she was staying with my family, so I never got the chance to deworm her when she was little and it sort of just got pushed back so many times until recently. She's always been really healthy, with a good weight and appetite, and no tummy swelling, so it never occurred to me before to deworm her sooner, but I decided to do so recently just to be sure since I sometimes see her hunting down cockroaches.

If it's the kitty's first time deworming, you have to do it every 2 weeks for 4 times, right? Her third deworming is scheduledon October 16, the same week as her spay appointment on October 11. Should I proceed with the deworming as scheduled? Or should I wait until the wound has completely healed (another 2 weeks)? I asked the spay clinic if this was fine, but their answer was honestly a bit inconclusive and they just said that it was up to me. (I'd love to pester them again about it but they're a low-cost spay/neuter clinic with loads of other rescues to take care of so I doubt my question will even be answered again haha)

I don't want to move her spay date because there's a good chance she could get pregnant since she can houdini herself out of the house easily despite my efforts, and I don't think I'm in a financial position to take care of more kitties. I'd appreciate some cat care advice!

Thank you so much, folks <3

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main reason not to do it at the same time would be so as not to stress her body too much, and 5 days after should be ok. But play it by ear, and if she doesn't seem strong enough, it's fine to put off the deworming. The timing isn't too important with that. . .and I've always heard to dose every 3 weeks for 3 doses, lol. So even if you waited a whole week it should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, Willowy! I'll make sure to keep a close eye on her and see if she's all good after a week. Thanks for letting me know about the timing thing! I'm fairly new to deworming cats, but from what I've heard, it depends on the type of dewormer you use. Glad to know I can delay for a week, just to be safe.

Thanks again! <3