deworming a feral ?

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Greetings from Northeastern Québec. I have been feeding a young feral male all winter. It lives in an old barn. I plan on having it neutered when his Covid thing is over. My local SPCA has a TNR program on ice right now. With luck, I would like to entice it into becoming a house cat. I have done it with my present female cat who is 17 now. Long process, but unconditional love. Question is : should I try to give it some dewormer mixed in with cat food ? I see plenty of ferals, but this one does not run like it's tail was on fire when I open the door. It retreats about 6 feet. It also has started spending a few hours at my door on a cushion my house cat uses. They get along, no fight that is, and wait for me at the door. Let's call it polite avoidance. They were barely 2 feet apart last week. Thanks for your time ! Stay safe !

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Cute kitty! If you think it needs a de-wormer, do you have Drontal available to you? It is a broad spectrum de-wormer, and can be added to food. The dosage, however, is based on the cat's weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Cute kitty! If you think it needs a de-wormer, do you have Drontal available to you? It is a broad spectrum de-wormer, and can be added to food. The dosage, however, is based on the cat's weight.
Thank you, I will investigate. Stay Safe !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Does the cat eat all the food that you put out....meaning, if it is wet food will the cat eat enough of it to make sure that a proper dose is given? I am not saying not to do this and am in the same position with some TNRed ferals around here but my personal animals, dogs and cats, have always licked around any meds, not eaten enough, etc. Thank you for helping this cat. I have just had tremendous luck with bringing two ferals who had been outside for 2 years inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doudounne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. It's difficult to evaluate because I have never used anything but dry food. But this guy is being treated a little bit differently in that I always cut up 1/4 of a hot dog in a saucer before giving him some dry treats and then letting him dig into the larger dry food bowl. He chews it up pretty good, from what I see, so he would probably discover the presence of a pill. But it's still worth trying. I will examine this some more. Maybe in tiny particles pushed inside the meat ?...... or inside some sardine ? Sardines are killers ! 8) Stay safe