Dewormed but still extremely bloated

DaintyDaise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have a 7 month kitten that I adopted in November. Originally, he had his first vet visit in November at 3 months old and was treated for a deworming. ISSUE IS the vet never mentioned a second treatment so he only got the one oral dose. I noticed his belly was always kinda full but i always thought it was just from having eaten! I believe the adult worms were killed in the first round of treatment but the eggs stayed and now they’re full grown worms.

Last week (now April) he threw up roundworms. I took him to the vet on Wednesday (a new one) and they gave him Profender and did a stool sample. They said to reapply in 2 months and they also gave me an advantage multi for monthly application. She said he was otherwise healthy.

However my kittens tummy is still super bloated and it is a week after i’m worried the treatment didn’t do anything! Is this because the second treatment will help with the bloat?? Or should the bloating have gone down significantly with this first dose? I’m a first time cat owner so I just want to make sure he is ok! I called the Vet yesterday and she said the bloat is just due to the worms he still has but that confused me bc does that mean the first treatment didn’t work at all?

He is regularly using the bathroom and eating with no problem! He is also very playful and full of energy!

Thank you for any guidance or help! **only blurry pics included bc he won’t stay still lol 750B0BC7-1AB4-4B74-BBEE-1F6A3A0CE413.jpeg

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One dose isn't going to immediately remove all the worms. It may take a few doses to fully break the worm life cycle. Follow the vet's instructions exactly for how often to give a dose of the medicines. Giving too much medicine too often won't break the worm life cycle any faster and may make your cat ill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaintyDaise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One dose isn't going to immediately remove all the worms. It may take a few doses to fully break the worm life cycle. Follow the vet's instructions exactly for how often to give a dose of the medicines. Giving too much medicine too often won't break the worm life cycle any faster and may make your cat ill.
Thanks for the help! I am definitely going to wait to give the second dose until the vet prescribed I was mainly just worried about the tummy bloating but that makes sense that it may take a while to fully go down!