Devastating Loss, Reflecting On The Situation...

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Boxer! It sounds like she's an amazing cat who lived a great life with a family who loved and cherished her. When you love your furbaby that much you're always wanting to do good by them, and every little mistake, significant and not, sticks out like a sore thumb. There will always be guilt over the things you could have done better, but what ultimately matters is that you care for her enough to do the best you can. What you did came from a genuine desire to do the right thing, and our furry friends are smart enough to pick that up.

Knowing all of that doesn't make the pain of the loss much easier. My sweet Heisenberg is going to be crossing the bridge in about six hours, and while I know we've made the best decisions we could I'm looking back and questioning everything, wondering if there's one thing we could have done differently to cure him.

In other words, you're not alone. The "could have should have" is something that happens to everybody who loses someone they love, as the other posts have said. And the pain does get better (something I learned from losing my cat Frey a decade or so ago), but until it does it's going to be miserable. But at least we have this forum to connect with and support each other! :grouphug: